Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

The reasons your poppers suck!!!

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by TheTruthSetsYouFree
on Fri, 4 Nov 2022 at 16:13

TheTruthSetsYouFree said on Fri, 4 Nov 2022 at 16:13...

Vogel's(1974) and William Noyes(1933) both describe an amyl nitrite prep that are identical. Anyone with access to the internet can look these preps up for free.

I have performed these preps many times and I can vouch that they do work well....at least when making n-amyl nitrite.

Caveats: It's absolutely imperative that the acid/alcohol mixture be added to the bottom of the sodium nitrite solution. If you don't do this, you won't get a good popper that will preserve well.

It's absolutely imperative that you DO NOT cheap out and use food grade SN. It MUST be high grade pure SN that's dry and has been stored optimally. It will cost a pretty penny for YOU to procure such high quality SN. It's dirt cheap to procure inferior food grade SN.

When using conc. sulfuric acid, you need to stir manually the whole time OR have a mechanical mixer strong enough to do so. If you elect to substitute HCl for sulfuric, then you are no longer performing Vogel's or Noyes exactly as detailed and YOU MAY not get the same results.

When you are done following Vogel's exactly as described....all you need do is add a little activated alumina to keep the popper dry and fresh for a long long time. You may also squirt wine preserve gas into each bottle after bottling and after each use.

The n-amyl nitrite will have a very mild, subtle, pleasant, aromatic odor and it will maintain this odor with use. It will NOT smell like anything familiar, like camphor or nail polish. If properly made and stored on activated alumina, it will smell good and not acquire bitter off odors and off effects within days of being made.

TheTruthSetsYouFree said on Fri, 4 Nov 2022 at 16:28...

I would add that when using sulfuric, the reaction vessel, once addition has been complete, will separate into 3 distinct layers as described by Noyes. If this doesn't happen shortly after addition, 10 to 15 minutes at least, then something is wrong. There should be a large white layer of sulfate crystals on the bottom, a small clear layer above that and then the yellow nitrite on top of that. There should be no blue or green or large bubbles.....nor rising white foam that gives off brown gases. The 3 distinct layers are a telltale sign that the reaction was done properly as described.

TheTruthSetsYouFree said on Fri, 4 Nov 2022 at 16:32...

Procuring high grade sodium nitrite that is dry and stored without oxygen is going to cost a lot, simply because the big guys, like Sigma, will absolutely NOT sell to individuals.

SO.....the markup to procure such chemicals via reseller chemical suppliers is HUGE. All reagents, especially the alcohol and SN should come factory sealed, not with tape, but with an integral plastic seal.

Inflatable Donald said on Sun, 6 Nov 2022 at 11:46...

howdy, my poppers don't suck, poppers are good. why u want to DIY? seems like a lot of nuisance. you buy your poppers online, that is a much better idea...but y'all paddle your own canoe, mr truth.

Inflatable D.

PS. Don't forget to vote!

The Professor said on Fri, 18 Nov 2022 at 22:41...

I_D,

this truth guy is also anonymous and ken and john and all the other made up names he uses. He certainly was proud of what he created, enough to embarrass himself with claims (like he always does). Too bad it fell to shit shortly after he posted this (like it always does with him)

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.