Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Tips for using sulfuric acid prep...

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by BrewMeister...
on Sat, 2 Jul 2022 at 16:11

BrewMeister... said on Sat, 2 Jul 2022 at 16:11...

I have been trying some variation with my sulfuric acid preps and one thing seems certain. Stirring/mixing is imperative. I tried the hand swirling per Noyes and the product was weak. Since the sodium sulfate becomes very thick, I resorted to mag stirrer and glass rod hand mixing at the same time. So manual plus mag. When I did that, I got a very good product with very good effects. It was difficult and slow since I had to essentially mix a white to yellow sludge while slowly dripping cold acid. But I didn't get much brown gas.

Amounts....18.5-20 mls one pentanol
15 mls Car Battery acid
15 grams Food Grade SN

I added no additional water until harvest. I pipetted off the first yield...added a little cold water, mixed, harvested and repeated again until there was no more yield.

I washed in cold water/baking soda several times. Then plain cold water. And then cold brine.

Dried with dry potassium carbonate. Stored on dry potassium carbonate, just a small layer. Product became slightly cloudy and particles stuck to inside of brown bottle, but the majority of the powder stayed unconsolidated and would form a vortex when the bottle was swirled. I used no sieves.

24 hours later:

Odor.....pungent, aromatic, like Spic and Span cleaner, some sharpness felt in nostril

Effects.....quick ass relax, slight euphoria, libido enhancing, enhanced energy, increased sensitivity to nipples and rectum. Very transient, but can be sustained with frequent or near constant whiffing until maximum effects are felt within 5 minutes.

O2 meter registered 91 and HR 70 about 10 minutes after 2 hard hitting 10 minutes sessions this AM. No feelings of unwellness or weakness.

BrewMeister... said on Sun, 3 Jul 2022 at 18:09...

I performed another synthesis of NAN again this Sunday July 3. I used slightly more acid but everything else was the same. Very hard to stir due to sludge like formation. Each drop of acid creates a speck of blue and white foam, which gets quickly absorbed into the mix. One drop per 5 seconds or more may be required to keep the brown gas at bay.

Harvest was a bit less.....about 15mls. Odor is similar, pungent, dry, mild, aromatic, but less like the Spic and Span, which I think is indicative of the presence of one pentanol, which by itself has a faint spic and span scent. Effects are similar as well. Product was nearly transparent before bottling and potassium carbonate powder swirled inside with gentle hand swirling of bottle.

It might be more workable to add more water to the pot per Noyes, but results might differ.

BrewMeister... said on Mon, 4 Jul 2022 at 19:09...

I performed yet another sulfuric acid prep of NAN and this time I followed William Noyes very closely, using more water.

Amounts....13 grams SN into 43 mls DW
18-19 mls one pentanol into 15 mls cold battery acid

Using ice bath, I slowly pipetted below the surface of the SN solution the
acid/alcohol mixture. Took about 15 minutes to add.

Stir bar began to bog down and I always stirred manually with
a glass rod as well.

Saw very little brown gas if any. Easy separation without having to add more water.

Odor: very mild, dry, but not very pungent or aromatic. Not like spic and span. Hardly any odor.

Effects. Slow to take effect...requires bigger hits, but once they hit, they last longer. Nothing weird, just ass relax and some euphoria.

Fluid is very transparent with total separation of Kcarb powder, no sticking on walls of glass bottle. Falls completely to bottom of bottle.

Using more water certainly changes the results. I would guess that this brew is more pure, with less alcohol remaining.

BrewMeister... said on Mon, 4 Jul 2022 at 19:12...

The alcohol and acid didn't seem to homogenize completely so I had to mix them often during addition.

BrewMeister... said on Tue, 5 Jul 2022 at 14:28...

I tested my Noyes brew today, Tuesday, July 5, 2022, and it's still very good. No change of odor which is very mild, dry and nondescript. No trace of Spic and Span odor or the alcohol.

Effects are very good. More delayed, but longer lasting.

I'm liking it and thinking the Noyes method works, provided the pot is sufficiently stirred, mixed throughout the addition.

Some makers switched to HCl simply because it's easier to stir with a magnetic stirrer. But I seriously doubt HCl is as good as sulfuric when making poppers. BUT to each his own. If someone likes what they are making, go with it. No need to try anything else.

BrewMeister... said on Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 16:23...

Tested again today, Wed. July 6, 2022 and results similar. Still good, mild, nondescript odor and delayed but rather profound effects. I constantly hit about 4 mls of the fluid, sniffing straight from 10 ml bottle and effects were fun. Total ass relax, very sustainable. I kept the mother load covered with argon in frig and after three days, it's still good.

What are the peak effects and how potent is amyl? These can only be determined by sniffing long and hard enough to get to a maximum heart rate. One whiff won't do it. After max HR is achieved, then whiffs can become less frequent and still sustain strong effects.

BrewMeister... said on Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 15:12...

Thursday, day 4 of brew and mother load and poured off sample are EXCELLENT.

Very mild, dry odor with delayed, but very good effects. Non toxic seeming. No weird or lingering off effects.

SO.....the NOYES method, using battery acid, worked very well. Must use sufficient water, and always stir the pot. Constant mixing is vital. Potassium carbonate powder stayed dry and did not clump on interior of glass bottle after bottling the yield. Odor remained very mild, dry and nondescript. Never became like pungent Spic and Span. Only a few beads of MS4 sieve were used in finished sample. Only a small amount of dry potassium carbonate was used to dry the crude nitrite.

The other samples where I used less water did NOT age well. They became much weaker after 3 to 4 days, and some did not smell as good.

Putinsputa said on Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 22:24...

Are you using a magnetic (lab) stirrer? If not, why not?

Putinsputa said on Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 22:28...

What are your ballpark costs per bottle, thanks!
Some items will be high cost, but they're tools, not consumables. The more you make, the more those costs are reduced.

BrewMeister... said on Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 10:04...

@Putin.....Noyes states that a very VERY strong stirrer is needed for larger brews. A typical mag stir is not strong enough to adequately mix more and more sodium sulfate as it forms. That's why a lot of brewers switched to HCl, which in my experience makes an inferior popper, a popper that is more apt to acquire off odors and give off effects.

I use a mag stir, PLUS manually had to mix with a glass rod my most recent battery acid(Noyes) brews. I made two normal amyl nitrite brews. Both are similar, with very special ass effects. Effefct is slower to kick in, but it's very delightful and sustainable once it does.

BrewMeister... said on Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 10:20...

Great News!!! I have tested my Noyes brew again...5 days old and it still has a good mild odor with no trace of bitterness and profoundly joyful ass effects.

I also made another Noyes brew yesterday. And after several tests, it's very similar in odor and effects.

After 12 years, I have come full circle. I started with William Noyes formula and then switched to a myriad of other ways. Most notably because so many other brewers had switched to HCl, simply because it was easier to stir.

BUT, I have found that the Noyes method is working much better for me than HCl did. As I stated before, it's imperative to constantly stir the WHOLE entire pot when using sulfuric acid, while adding the acid/alcohol mixture slowly. It's important to use enough water, but not too much. The molar amounts of alcohol, sulfuric acid, sodium nitrite and the total water, I used, were very close to Noyes. For instance, his formula called for roughly 14.5 mls of conc. sulfuric acid(96%). I used new battery acid from Autozone(35%). So it would take about 45 mls of the battery acid to equal 14.5 mls of conc. sulfuric. And you subtract the extra water in battery acid from the total you would add to the sodium nitrite solution and from the water amount added to the dilute acid from the conc. sulfuric that Noyes mentions. Basically, add up all the water Noyes used and copy it. It's worked great for me. Product is lasting very well without having to add much sieves or dry potassium carbonate powder.

The Professor said on Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 17:13...

Ken (brewmeister) doesn't know or understand much of anything.

They read somewhere on Quora that sulfuric acid is superior to HCL for NITRATIONS, (true) and thinks that means it works be superior for NITROSATIONS (false).

Any source of hydrogen ions at a density of 12.1 is suitable for NITROSATIONS , and HCL is a much cleaner source, you don't have to deal with sulfates.

Notice that he's been trolling this past with one post everyday, trying to get a nibble. You finally have him one.

I guess being on vacation might have encouraged him to think I was going to leave him alone.

He's too dangerous for that; he's likely over exposed himself to the legal limits of industrial exposure to toxins by hovering over a poor of poison.

Please don't be a Dobby enabler. He'll lie to you and make up anything of he thinks it'll get attention.

Everything you are reading by this guy is cut and paste failures from the past, lately. A smattering of intrigue and drama, and repeating failures is all Dobby can do.

Just curious the the screen name, supporting ukraine or prior resident?

BrewMeister... said on Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 23:18...

Wow....it's crazy how someone can criticize someone else who follows a published chemist's method of making poppers exactly. He's actually attacking William Noyes, the real peer reviewed chemist from the 1930s. He used sulfuric, for better or worse. I'm sure he had some very good reasons.

BrewMeister... said on Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 23:19...

The real lie is that following the William Noyes method is BAD and that's what the Professor is saying indirectly.

The Professor said on Sat, 9 Jul 2022 at 00:06...

can you quit lying long enough to realize that you've BOTH accused me of copying william noyes procedure (I haven't) and of criticizing it..........simultaneously.

; it's a valid procedure for what was available in the 1930's

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.