Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

One way to tame IsoPropyl Nitrite

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by The Professor
on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 01:10

The Professor said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 01:10...

ken's sudden love affair with IsoPropyl Nitrite piqued my curiosity. He typically favors the weaker nitrites, and that ain't IsoPropyl.

ken's batch:
"
40 mls 31.45% HCl added to 30-31 mls of 91% IPA. Chill but do NOT freeze.

22 grams SN added to 36 mls DW. Chill but do NOT freeze.

Use ice bath and add the acid/alcohol to the SN solution on moderate to high stir.
"

let's break it down.

30 ml of 91% Isopropanol = 27.3ml isopropanol and 0.7ml water
27.3 ml Isopropanol = 0.327 mol

22g NaNO2 = 0.319 mol

40ml 32% HCL = 0.428 mol

The prep has equimolar stoichiometry, meaning the theoretical ratio of reactants should be 1:1:1 (alcohol to acid to NaNO2

Ken's prep takes 0.327 mol of alcohol

ken's prep is UNDER molarity for NaNO2 which GUARANTEES unreacted alcohol (weaker yield)

Ken's prep is way OVER molarity on HCL, which does nothing but make table salt.

Typical recommended ratios (that compensate for losses due to reactant waste at high temps) are 1.0:1.05: 1.10 (alc-NaNO2-HCL)

Ken's ratios are 1:0.97:1.31

That 30% excess HCL (serving no purpose when the NaNO2 is under molarity (there's no more HNO2 being made, just NaCL (table salt)

ken's prep guarantees an excess of acid to be neutralized while at the same time guaranteeing a weaker than fully reacted product.

Odd.

TL;DR

ken's results don't prove that his prior failures were due to impurities as he thinks; they demonstrate the obvious; that IsoP that's not fully reacted will be weaker.

For those that absolutely HAVE to make IsoPropyl nitrite, I suggest making the right way ( a fully nitrosated alcohol) and THEN controlling the vapor pressure by adding fumed silica.

Fumed silica will compound with the IsoP nitrite into a gel, which will substantially lower the vapor pressure (and therefore the strength).

This will slow decomposition rate even more, and still provide the (in my o) over-the-top sensations without the lethargy. Just add fumed silica until it's not too strong for you.

ROY-GBP said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 08:43...

Hey Prof.....did you see my message looking for you or popchef2? I need some help. Consulting work. not in beakers....in drums and vessels. Cash in hand. We can connect on reddit. ROY-GBP

Anonymous said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 21:29...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmpmLjfkkM

Doug's lab on Youtube has 62K views and shows how to make isopropyl nitrite.

Notice how he doesn't use an ice bath and says with IPN, it's not as necessary as with some other nitrites.

BTW....I just made 30mls of fresh IPN made from Walmart's 91% rubbing alcohol and

it's absolutely FANTASTIC giving ZERO side effects.

Anonymous said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 21:31...

Thomas can whine about his lousy IPN all he wants, but the stuff I've been making is so easy to make and so amazingly good. And it's anything but weak.

Anonymous said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 21:38...

And BTW, I didn't make up the ratios...I copied them off a chemistry forum...so they are NOT Ken's ratios.

And since all my historic IPN brews were total toxic shit, I would say that this new method I found on a chemistry forum is FAR BETTER since the product is absolutely amazing.

The Professor said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 22:16...

@ROY-GBP
thanks for your interest, but i'm very much retired. The last freelance project I was involved in was some years ago (and, oddly the same situation was involved (Ken Jones arguing something he was completely wrong about making alkyl nitrites, as above(you know, the usual)))

I got a new R8 out of that deal (thanks Ken for being you), but cash isn't really a resource I'm lacking at the moment.

Good luck with your pursuit. Any decent chemist should be able to set you up.

kens-anus said on Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 23:18...

Doug's lab; fun channel by an amateur chemist. Good stuff if you understand it.

I'm reminded of the video you went on and on about back at poppersplace, DEMANDING that it was showing a sudden color change from blue to clear (as if the seas parted, revealing a clear reaction vessel. You were CERTAIN (as you always are) that it was showing some kind of titration color change, which fit one of your theories at the time.

In fact, the video was just two edits, about 20 minutes apart, that were joined in an editing program.

If one is so easily fooled by the miracle of motion pictures, it's no wonder they constantly fail prepping poppers

In this case, the amounts that Doug call out seem to be OK (not your ratios that you probably got by dividing his?).

Doug does NOT, however, confirm, the ridiculous notion that undergoing a prep of ANY compound at a higher temperature will lead to LESS impurities.

He DOES mention that IsoPropanol seems to have less thermal degradation (meaning the DESIRED yield will not suffer, NOT that there will be less impurities OVERALL.

You've graduated from ignorant to liar; congrats!

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 14:05...

Just tested my newest IPN twice this AM....Absolutely AMAZING!!! I would NOT have believed it if I hadn't lived it.

The Professor has NOT done it, lived or in any way made an honest effort to replicate it using the same ratios/reagents/conditions.

But this is it BABY......This is amazing Walmart Poppers!!!! Cheap and readily available everywhere!!!!

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 14:09...

My only intent ever has been to document my honest thoughts and experiences with poppers. I have ZERO motive to lie about how good these recent brews of IPN have been.

They are absolutely AMAZING!!!! Zero side effects. And very potent ass relaxers....causing a slight dream state that feels exceedingly good.

And there is a mild odor....nothing very sweet, nothing acidic...nothing off putting.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 14:19...

I've already stated I got the ratios for making poppers on a Chemistry forum, not from a video.

I noticed the excess acid amount and went with it. It WORKS far better giving a product having zero toxic effects, very insoluble with water, very transparent yellow and a good yield provided the temps are not super cold.

It is very transparent yellow right out of the pot....and it stays this way throughout the neutralizing steps. It never emulsifies. It's very water insoluble.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 14:22...

So....what I have proven after much trial and error.....excess acid is crucial along with fresh and pure alcohol.

The sodium nitrite seems to last a long time without a cover of nitrogen and food grade from Duda is good enough.

The nitrogen might work better placed over fresh and pure alcohol after it's been opened.

The HCl can come from the hardware store. It's pure enough and lasts a long time.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 14:26...

3 parts alcohol to 4 parts 31.45% HCl seems to work well...and is a good starting point.

BTW, I have one-pentanol remaining in a mostly empty glass bottle...and I won't use it because everything it makes is garbage now. It's too impure from the O2 and moisture it's been exposed to.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 14:28...

I know it's not the sodium nitrite or the acid at fault when making amyl nitrite...because I am making amazing IPN for the first time, using the same acid and sodium nitrite I've making amazing IPN with.

This stuff is AMAZING!!! I'm going to make another 30mls this afternoon before the alcohol degrades.

kens-anus said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 16:21...

Wow. You just regurgitated anything you've ever said, over and over, about ANY ingredient in the prep.

First it was the NaNO2. Even on that video you posted, in the comments, you say that the NaNO2 is extremely sensitive to oxygen and you only get a few good batches out of it.

Then, after 'much more testing (sand you fought over and over that you HAD to be right because it happened right before you (sounds familiar?}

Next it was the acid. Hydrochloric acid, you claimed, must degrade quickly because you 'only get a few batches out of it before it goes bad'

History repeats itself. One of the forums members mention that you need to have a controlled reaction before you can make any claims. He is ignored.

Fast forward through several hundred failures, and THEN Ken decides that the alcohol is going bag, and he goes on a search, comparing alcohols from companies around the world.

Several hundred failures later, and Ken decides that : all of the reactants have to be super fresh' or the prep will fail.

Keeping on mind that, during all of these years, Ken doubles down and berates people that are trying to help him; stubbornly sticking to his wild speculations.

Then, the mix NEEDED to have a large excess of acid. That also didn't pan out (about 5 yrs ago).

Then, near room temperature was fine (never mind all the imuroties he keeps going on about).

Then he doubled down on the mixing order; surely the order of aspirin into the pot was the secret?. Uh......no. more junk info from Ken

Ken states in an earlier pay that he fashions himself as some type of 'scientist'. He even, on his condescending way, berates another member for not understanding his 'like any accidental' method.

A real scientist doesn't blaze with a notion, sticking to it for years, until it fails HIS requirements. A real scientists EXPLORES the reaction. Discovering ITS requirements and methodically testing it's variables.

What Ken does is scatter shot, stubborn, dangerous and how motives have been proven to be insincere.

Your idol is rolling in his grave

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 19:13...

MMMMMMM.....I'm on my second bottle of home brew...and it's so freakin GOOD!!! Evaporates fast...but so so good.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 19:34...

Just opened up the second bottle....had in frig. Warmed it up a bit and it hissed like crazy when I opened it.

Gave it a whiff...smells good........effects are WONDERFUL. As far as I'm concerned this is as good and potent as PWD's was before 2010. I can't tell a difference cept it evaporates faster.

Oh...and BTW...the reason the Professor's IPN was always toxic crap is because.....TOO COLD and TOO little ACID. Plus....he probably used really old stock rubbing alcohol.

The reason his butyls are toxic turbid crap....is because he buys old impure alcohols from the PA....mixes both impure isobutyl alcohol and impure butyl alcohol and expects to get a pure popper. And he never uses enough acid to complete the reaction...so there's always toxic impurities.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 19:36...

Oh...and the reason the Professor's amyl nitrite is so freakin weak is BECAUSE....is degraded alcohol plus not enough acid.

Happened a lot to me too....good and potent for awhile and then the alcohol just takes a shit in the bottle. Then the brews become really weak.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 19:41...

So the amount of money you need to make at least 75 ten ml brews of fresh and very potent IPN giving no toxic effects is:

Equate 91% 32 oz. rubbing alcohol from Walmart.

Sunnyside one gal Muriatic Menard's

2 lbs sodium nitrite Duda

20 bucks

for a grand total of 30.49!!!!

Wow....really cheap. 75 bottles for less than 31 bucks.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 19:47...

Oh...and btw....the reason it took me so long to get to this point......I don't have a freaking Gas Chemical analyzer...and neither does the Professor. He just assumes all his shitty reagents are 99.999% pure always and forever. He also just assumes his poppers are 99.999% pure. Hmmmm...not very scientific if you ask me.

kens-anus said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 20:02...

and doing things the CORRECT way, with certified ingredients from global manufacturers costs about 30 cents per millilitre. That's insanely inexpensive, you know what you're getting, the batches are consistent and there's NO drama.

The reaction pot is lake placid at -12C (no boiling off acid adding energy to the pot and throwing side reactions in every direction) and the prep has rock solid repeatable results, with NO need to compensate for boiling reactants by using such a large excess of acid.

That, to me, is an optimal embodiment. Inexpensive, repeatable, pure reactions that are under control and pure with no side reactions and triple nine purity.

First Joe Miller HAD to be making Amyl nitrite? you fought tooth and nail (you know, like a person that's ignorant of the facts, NOT the 'scientist' you fantasize about) NOW he was making isopropyl nitrite, years before the rest of the world was forced to use it?

ridiculous speculation that adds NOTHING to the conversation topic.

the topic proposes a method to make ACTUAL IsoPropyl nitrite (not the under-reacted stuff you made) and how to control it's strength (and decomposition rate).

All the BS (which is nothing but a repetition of garbage posts over the years, with different chemicals as 'the culprit') is just a waste of time.

Life's too short for that much BS. Back almost a decade now, when I had to clean up your mess at poppersplace after you abandoned it (the site had become desperate attempts by ken to get results, while his peers WERE having success, so he abandoned them.

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 21:55...

Just made another 30ml brew of IPN.....glorious day today....sunshine and 50s.

Tested the finished bottle and A OK. Smells mild and has very strong effects without any of the toxic effects.

It's a WINNER!!!

Anonymous said on Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 22:01...

3.49 for 32 oz. of 91% rubbing alcohol at Walmart.....and Walmart is everywhere.....so convenient and insanely cheap.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.