Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Is it safe to keep the poppers in freezer?

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Write0nly
on Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 22:56

Write0nly said on Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 22:56...

I would like to store my UNopened bottles with the best conditions possible.

Is it safe - or is it helps at all - to keep the in the freezer?
(~-24°C or ~-11°F)

Thanks for your help experts!

The Professor said on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 18:00...

Time marches on; the bond strength of the Alkyl nitrite molecule is very weak. It will be broken by light (photolysis), heat (thermolysis ) Oxygen (oxidation) and water (hydrolysis).

The proverbial 'cool dark place' is best, but that doesn't include a freezer.

At least a consumer freezer (with automatic defrost)

Those defrosting cycles allow any water content to freeze, melt and freeze again, this is working the molecules apart, especially if the bottle is taken straight from the freezer (as soon as it is opened cold, condensation ruins the party).

Write0nly said on Thu, 29 Jul 2021 at 14:27...

Dear Professor,

Thank you for your detaled answer!

Yep, I try to follow the golden rule of the "cool dark place".

( Normally I would store in the normal fridge... but as Covid is there, I share my home with the my family, so I didn't wanted them to see in the fridge, that was the source of my freeze idea. Which idea is discarded based on your informations )

NTBiman said on Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 05:41...

Correct me if I am wrong Professor, but if you need longer term storage of unopened bottles which hopefully have minimal water content, would there not be an advantage in freezer storage?
And if you decant 30ml bottles down to 3X 10ml (cheaper that way then the decanted bottles seem to last longer in the freezer pending use.
I have been decanting down to multiple 1ml bottles bought from eBay, this also works for me, and allows me to carry amyl with me discreetly for opportunistic use with minimal waste.
The tiny bottles are not so good for sniffing out of, but wetting ashirt sleeve and huffing that works well.
I am currently trying some molecular sieve balls in my small bottles. Not yet sure if they make a significant difference.

The Professor said on Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 14:59...

That would work if you don't take a large bottle out of the freezer and use it immediately; that's the scenario that does the most damage.

Hydrolysis degrades nitrite much faster than the thermal difference between a closed drawer and a freezer

Dr. Who said on Sun, 1 Aug 2021 at 23:32...

I tried this a few years ago. Long story short. It ruined my poppers. I am learning that condensation can ruin my purchased product. These days I don't care if the store keeps it in the fridge or not. Not sure if it makes any difference. No, I don't want it to be stored in the open sunlight but most of the stores I frequent have no windows and is kept cool away from direct light. That's my experience.

Elvis said on Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 12:41...

Cool dark place is all Ive ever done. Ive never placed mine in the fridge or freezer.

DNR said on Sun, 8 Aug 2021 at 21:00...

I keep mine hidden in my bathroom cabinet under something. I can usually get 7 to 8 days out of most products unless it's absolute shit or already at its shelf life and I just didn't know it.

Captain Coomer said on Thu, 26 Aug 2021 at 01:51...

I have one of those little cola can fridges now. I keep a a few bottles in there with a cola can and seems fine to me. I let the bottle warm up to room temp before using the product. I drink the cola cold though.

tapeats said on Wed, 29 Sep 2021 at 23:08...

My personal experience is that storing in the freezer works great. Just let them get to room temp before opening to discourage condensation. I've kept my supply good for at least 6 months this way. Upon bottling up a batch in 10ml boston round bottles, with dripper tops, I first put the bottles in a mason jar, then into the freezer. The mason jar is to keep any off gassing from getting into the food stored. When I want to play, I take a bottle out of the mason jar, and let it come up to room temp.

I will say that after 6 months, it's not as potent as when I've just made it, but it's not anything near weak either. I've been storing this way for years with the same results. Colder the better. Plus, it has the added benefits of freezing any water that may have slipped past my drying process, which I'm assuming makes it less available to interact with the poppers.

Joe said on Thu, 10 Feb 2022 at 13:19...

Always store upside down..No gas exchange with the air this way..Same with things like sour cream tubs..etc..

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.