Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Popper degredation

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Zach
on Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 21:41

Zach said on Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 21:41...

I bought 2 bottles of poppers a couple of months ago, and after 2 or so months of having them stored in a cool dry place (and using them every other day or so) each one has developed whitish particles inside of varying sizes. Is this mold or just nitrate degradation?

Michael said on Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 04:49...

I suspect it's nitrite degradation, but in any case: Throw them out - they're past their usefulness now! They can't be pleasant.

Billy said on Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 07:56...

I never keep a bottle of poppers longer than 3-4 days, even with keeping it in the fridge.

Elvis said on Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 17:40...

Just give it a sniff. You'll know if it's bad or not. It might be totally fine and still potent.

Canuck SB said on Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 05:07...

If the bottle still hisses is it still good?Is the hissing a sign of freshness?

The Professor said on Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 20:57...

@Canuck SB

that used to be a sign of freshness. When nitric oxide precipitates out of solution there are extremely small bubbles that effervesce (SLOWLY).

That would happen only a couple of times, and wasz a sign of fresh and potent product.

These days, it depends on if the nitrite is stabilized, and how.

Most stabilizers also adsorb gasses, so the excess NO ends up in the MS4 or AA beads, not evolving from the bottle.

On the other hand, some of the acid sinks emit CO2 when they neutralize acid; if the product is stabllized with those, it will evolve CO2 out of the bottle, many more times, for the life of the bottle.

In that case (larger bubbles, higher vapor pressure (easily heard instead of having to hold your ear to the bottle)) the bottle will hiss whether the product is fresh or not.

Canuck SB said on Sun, 25 Jul 2021 at 05:17...

@The Professor

Thank you for the explanation much appreciated good Sir!!!!

The Professor said on Sun, 25 Jul 2021 at 22:00...

No problem, enjoy!

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.