Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Amyl/Pentyl variants

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by PoppyJo
on Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 21:54

PoppyJo said on Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 21:54...

This is my considered opinion, based both on my experience and what science I know. Please post your agreement or disagreement or further information.

First, I prefer Amyl to Butyl, though I know some have a different preference. Propyl and Hexyl, I think anyone in their right mind would steer clear of. Now to the point of this post:

There are variants, which are isomers -- same chemical formula but different arrangement of atoms. But here is the science: only the nitrite part is psychoactive, not the alkyl part. Regardless of the structure of the alkyl chain, there is a simple bond connecting it to the nitrite that, it seems to me, would not vary.

Now, no one can deny that the feeling given by amyl is different from butyl, but my thought is this: given pure amyl/pentyl nitrite, the various structures of the alkyl chains are irrelevant. Isoamyl, n-amyl, pentyl, straight-chain, whatever -- all these compounds have identical molecular weights, and that seems to be the only factor we're concerned with here. Since the alkyl part has no psychoactive effect, it seems it wouldn't matter what particular shape it is, and the variation in feeling would seem to be from the molecular weight alone.

Purity is definitely a factor. I really like this bottle https://www.poppers-aromas.eu/big-poppers/107-amyl-poppers-5.html which says it is pure Amyl, but I also ordered this one https://www.poppers-aromas.eu/home/142-everest-original-poppers-3.html which says it is Pentyl. The long and the short of it is, both were equally pleasant with a fresh bottle. I honestly could not discern a difference, which tends to support my thesis here. Anyone with similar experiences, or with more knowledge?

One final question: This one https://www.poppers-aromas.eu/home/139-everest-premium-5.html they claim is the strongest, very pure, but the price is WAY higher than any of the others. Has anyone tried this and can you verify whether it's worth the extra bucks (or euros as it were)?

Also, does anyone here who manufactures also sell? Because I might surely be interested in a quality product I don't have to pay to ship from France. I am in the U. S. A.

Josie said on Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 11:11...

Hi,

I have purchased and used everest original and premium both bought from poppers-aromas.eu. They both provide an excellent long lasting experience and do not give me any blueness that i get with cheap products bought in the UK. It is always a very personal experience but for me there was nothing different with the premium product to warrant paying the extra euros.

Madeplentypoppers said on Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 17:37...

Unless we know the exact purity/composition of an inhalant, there is no way we can accurately assess its effects or odor. Chemical companies sell very expensive "standards", which are presumed to be the highest purity possible. Poppers are unstable and so they start to degrade as soon as they are made. Stabilizers can slow the process, but they don't prevent it. So that bottle of amyl you got from France, may have been 90% pure when made, but only 80% once you got it. As far as I know, no one has ever correlated purity levels with recreational effects, nor have they correlated impurities with "artifactual" effects. But there have been studies suggesting that isobutyl nitrite is more potent/stronger than amyl nitrite. I don't know that it is well understood why potency differs when the alkyl part changes. One study suggested that amyl is less potent because it breaks down faster in the body. Also, isomers may weigh the same and have the same elements in them but they do have different properties. So I wouldn't assume that n-amyl nitrite and isoamyl nitrite are going to smell and effect the same.

Josie said on Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 00:50...

Thanks.

All I know is I have used poppers since the 80s and these are the best I've had in a very long time.

PoppyJo said on Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 04:32...

@Josie, thanks for the tip. I will not be ordering the premium. I agree with you on the quality, and really, what I've got currently is plenty good enough for me!

@Madeplentypoppers, thank you very much for your input. Now I am wondering whether I've ever actually had truly fresh butyl. It's the only variety the bookstores sell currently where I am, and I thought it lacked. I guess they can't make it in Europe now, so poppers-aromas.eu doesn't sell it. It is interesting though, what you said about studies showing it is stronger. I do know that the original formula was amyl, when the stuff was medically discovered. I'd like to try some really fresh butyl if I can ever get my hands on some, just to judge for myself.

Madeplentypoppers said on Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 16:29...

Personally, I prefer amyl because it doesn't cave my blood pressure or make me woozy and disoriented. It wears off completely within minutes and can be hit harder and longer because of this. I also think it smells better. But I think it degrades faster than the other nitrites. Example....I bought 100mls IBN from TCI chemical and it lasted a couple of weeks. But when I bought 500mls Isopentyl nitrite from Alfa Aesar, it smelled a little fruity upon opening, but quickly went bad within a week...ALL of it despite my best efforts to salvage it. It turned to vinegar and dead fish. Very disappointing....didn't have time to even evaluate it for effects.

PoppyJo said on Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 15:22...

@Madeplentypoppers, what chemicals are commonly used as stabilizers, and how do they work? I was unaware that they were even used.

Physical said on Sat, 18 Jan 2020 at 20:46...

Except: alkyl nitrites are not psychoactive. They are biological active in tissues. Sometimes it is for some people hard to understand that alkyl nitrites are working only in your physical body not like psychoactive chemicals. They work in your brain more like carousel than vine. They work more like sports than bars.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.