Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Advice (third attempt at making poppers at home)

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by brazilianPoppersNewby
on Sat, 14 Jul 2018 at 19:37

brazilianPoppersNewby said on Sat, 14 Jul 2018 at 19:37...

Hi all, I have read the theory and the forum posts on making poppers at home, and this week was my third try. I'm using isobutyl alcohol, hydrochloric acid and obviously sodium nitrite.

The first time, I mixed the alcohol with the nitrite first, in one beaker, froze that mixture and the acid in the freezer overnight, than dropped the acid onto it using a sep funnel, in an ice bath (the temperature never rose above 3 celsius), always mixing with a magnetic stirrer. Nothing at all happened, maybe it was because I tried with quantities that were too small, all I had in the end was a colorless liquid that had no effects whatsoever.

The second time, I mixed the sodium nitrite with a small amount of distilled water in one beaker, and the alcohol and acid into another beaker. Again, froze both overnight, than dropped the acid/alcohol mixture onto the nitrite. I did a 3 mol scale measurement of all the components. I managed to produce a decent amount of isobutyl nitrite, but the effects were very weak, not at all like a store bought product. I figured I might have had a lot of unreacted alcohol mixed with the final product(since I had 3 mols of each element going in, any nitrous acid that escaped during the reaction would leave that same amount of alcohol unreacted, obviously). To be sure that this was the case, after noticing how weak the final product was, I added some more alcohol to it, to see if they would mix or separate, and sure enough, they mixed, confirming what I thought was the problem.

My third attempt, I decided to use half as much alcohol as the other 2 elements (so this time, I used 2 mols of acid and sodium nitrite, and 1 mol of alcohol). Interestingly, this time the reaction looked a lot more like those I see on the youtube videos, meaning that a HUGE amount of brown fumes came out during the reaction (so much I kept fanning it away and lots more accumulated almost instantly), and this time, the mixture took to an almost fluorescent blue color during the reaction, something that had not happened the previous 2 times (the reaction was always clear before). In the end, a light yellow layer separated from a clear bottom layer, and I thought I had hit the jackpot but the effect was even weaker than the second time. I can tell there is definitely some poppers being produced ( I felt the heart racing and the head rush, the typical sensations we all know), but it is nothing like a store bought product, it is way weaker, doesn't last long at all, and left me feeling like a truck ran over me the next day.

Anybody has any suggestions for what may be happening, for my fourth batch?

Liz said on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 at 08:30...

I tried making my own poppers to. I made two bathches. One Amyl and one Isobutyl. The effects were ok but the smell was of chemicals. Then in the next few days i started getting sicker and sicker. I have a horse throat and feel very weak. I think thats it for me trying to make poppers.

Liz said on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 at 08:31...

You might want to try the reddit community. look under popperpigs and Poppermakers. They will give you advice on how to make them but be very carefull I'm so sick right now and regreting my attempt at making my own.

brazilianPoppersNewby said on Sat, 21 Jul 2018 at 17:50...

Hey Liz, I too felt the smell of chemicals instead of the fruity scent people describe on the videos. I did also have a hoarse throat but the store kind also gives me that. The hangover though was bigger than with the brand kind. Do you mind sharing how you made yours? Perhaps we can find what we did wrong...

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.