Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Poppers Ban in Australia?

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Bingo
on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 at 10:15

Bingo said on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 at 10:15...

There is some talk about a possible poppers ban in Australia/ decision coming in September. Seems the only use that will be allowed is as "machine lubricant"

Some in LBGT community are arguing against the proposed ban. Steven Spencer called it "moralising and perhaps even homophobic" - he has an poppers bottle tattoo on his chest :-)

Rosa Klebb said on Mon, 16 Jul 2018 at 16:29...

Why is a poppers ban homophobic exactly - in Australia or anywhere else? It is not exclusively gay. Do not understand that. It might be moralizing i guess. Poppers are banned in Canada and I think Japan, and were nearly banned in Britain. Are Canadians being accused of homophobia, no.

brad said on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 at 14:56...

Because the poppers industry was the largest contributor (advertiser) to the gay press, therefore it is a "gay icon"/ does not mean to say that all gay activists are pro-poppers. There was one guy in San Fransisco who used to campaign against poppers...can't remember his name though.

This Aussie guy with the tattoo is a bit "in you face" especially when it is all about eye risk. Guess which formulas are not allowed down-under, and guess which one is!? Maybe Steven should do some reading about formulas before visiting the tattoo parlor. No idea why poppers were banned in Canada, does anyone know??

Anonymous said on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 at 11:16...

Amyl and The Sniffers are an Australian pop group...it is well known.

Space Noodle said on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 at 04:43...

I was reading another thread about Australia. There was one distributor complaining bitterly about the proliferation of copy bottles of Chinese origin being wholesaled to Australian shops. He seemed to be saying that there were lots of fakes all over the country.

I know that both the UK and Australia saw a spike in retina cases - strange that happens in two places, but no significant statistical data from elsewhere. The easiest assumption is that this is related to the legal loophole that allows isopropyl nitrite to be widely sold.

@brad Hank Wilson The Committee to Monitor Poppers. He was motivated due to the death of his partner. He was part of the discredited idea that poppers caused an HIV related cancer. He was the co-author of a book too. He was also a tireless campaigner for gay rights, RIP.

I also have also wondered why Canada took the decision to ban poppers. The Australia ban proposal is related to maculopathy, but medical professionals have already warned that it is not really clear that there is a link in any case. So we will see.....

Boxer said on Thu, 9 Aug 2018 at 16:23...

Canada poppers ban was something to do with a shop worker in an adult store (a lady I think) Australia is not so relaxed about this kinda thing, but moralizing? homophobic? no! If you want that look at Putin's Russia - you can get your head kicked in for being gay. Homophobia is policy there and supported by the Orthodox Church. Watch out all you boys cheering for homegrown popularists - they come from the same stable. Today EU bureaucrats, Mexican immigrants etc...tomorrow it will be you. Yes, amazingly there are gay men who wave the flags of this new breed of politics, remember Ernst Rohm?

ninja said on Wed, 15 Aug 2018 at 07:15...

poppers are politicized. why? that is because they are seen as part of gay identity. so it is a good idea for gay rights in 2018 to identify with a product like that? if integration is the goal then it surely counter-productive. politicians are scared of appearing homophobic. BUT past bans have created weird new formula like isopropyl that is a risky product. also they are always saying badly informed things like "amyl nitrate". situation is Canada is unique, maybe now Australia too.

WOWZA said on Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 11:04...

Looks like poppers will indeed soon be banned in Australia! There are plenty of angry comments about it coming from the Australian gay community. One guy proposes (jokingly I guess) setting up his own bath tub and shipping in packs of frozen peas....the peas will melt, so not good sense. Another guy was saying you can buy glyceryl trinitrate (what that?) at a pharmacy and it does the same thing. Petitions and angry words abound.

This is the fault of irresponsible shops that sell erectile dysfunction meds alongside poppers to make a quick buck. That is the latest reason given for the ban. The eye issue is related to an existing condition (does not affect everyone) so like a warning: if you suffer from X do not use poppers. That would do. In any case a ban will create a market for new formula crap. Mad, mad, world. Amyl nitrite is a historic and proven product, used by generations without issue, even for bites by poisonous animals and in first aid kits.

Pappa Badmouth said on Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 16:25...

The TGA have thrown a wobbly about amyl for sure. One doctor was countering them saying poppers are useful for folks wanting sex up the back, and potentially prevent tears and possible surgery. Most sensible guys know the downsides, so it is a big pack of crap.

WOWZA said on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 at 16:05...

Decision is put on hold until February 2019. So Australian poppers enthusiasts have a short respite.

Angry said on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 19:43...

"The Nitrite Action Group" is a new fight back group challenging the proposed ban. Maybe someone should tell them if Australia is flooded with propyl nitrite engine cleaner / machine lubricant then the situation will worsen.

POPPERS FORMULAS! PEOPLE! Do not set yourselves up as an authoritative "Action Group" without understanding the difference between pentyl and propyl!

Pappa Badmouth said on Sat, 9 Feb 2019 at 08:27...

Poppers just hit the news again in Australia in a bad way :-(

A couple of crazy guys held up a store and doused the clerk with petrol. They were demanding "amyl nitrate" and money. It seems they were off their heads on something. I guess the clock is ticking on Aussie poppers and crap like this is not gonna help public opinion.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.