Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

What does ISO mean?

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by tex7
on Tue, 15 May 2018 at 07:35

tex7 said on Tue, 15 May 2018 at 07:35...

Amyl and pentyl nitrite have the same molecular weight, eh? They smell them same (fruity) and they have the same effect.

So how does this ISO addition work?? Like there is a big effect difference between butyl nitrite and iso-butyl is there not? Thoughts. I am no chemist but I kinda figure that ISO means it is some branch of the original cause of regulations??

AmChem said on Wed, 16 May 2018 at 18:23...

Iso- just means there is a methyl group attached to another carbon of a hydrocarbon backbone, as an isomer (same formula but different chemical arrangement). There are two isomers of propanol for instance, 1 and 2. Propane has three carbon atoms, and the number indicates which atom the OH group is attached to (end and middle respectively) which is where the nitrite group is also located in the alkyl nitrite - one may think of this as being a three carbon chain, or an ethanol molecule with a methyl group attached to the same carbon as the hydroxyl group (OHCH2CH2CH3 vs. CH3CH(OH)CH3). For butyl and isobutyl, the difference being that respectively one is a straight chain, whereas the other has a methyl group coming off the end carbon forming a ‘fork’. Iso/amyl also works in the same way.

The differences are only subtle as it is the nitrite functionality which causes the effects - the chemical differences being the volatility and ability for the nitrite to be removed to generate nitric oxide in the body. Smaller molecules like isopropyl nitrite are more volatile than their larger cousins, hence are stronger since you inhale more each time. This also means that they can enter other parts of the body, hence why isopropyl can affect the eyes. I am doubtful that their breakdown products produce much of an effect but COULD contribute - the amounts inhaled are so small that the resulting alcohol would only be present in tiny amounts, nowhere near enough to cause any effects but some may be sensitive.

Oliver said on Sat, 26 May 2018 at 21:02...

That is an interesting point about IPN. Do you think the reported "eye of god" poppers phenomenon is more prevalent with that formula? Nobody has yet explained why IPN is linked to maculopathy, where the amyl and butyl families are not. I think you just did that! Thanks. Do you think that propyl exacerbates an existing condition, or is the proximate cause? I presume as well that propyl is going to pose an even greater risk in combination with erectile dysfunction medication? Obviously it poses a danger with any poppers, but is this formula more risky maybe...

Andy Leicester said on Thu, 31 May 2018 at 00:57...

Why is it called "the Eye Of God" ?

max said on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 at 10:54...

"Poppers Nebula" is better term so not to upset others. You should remember that dudes like Stephen Fry and Dick Dawkins (married to that girl from Dr Who) have recently told us that God does not exist. I was quite surprised after 5,000 years. Still, Dick is a brainy guy who knows about zoo stuff and Stephen is well clever.

Beelzebub said on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 at 03:27...

Like a burning disc in the middle of the eye! I think the eye has many micro nerves and that will cause it. I heard that this poppers eye problem is reported in UK and Australia (both are countries which allow for isopropyl to be sold in shops there)

Oliver said on Sat, 14 Jul 2018 at 05:09...

Predisposition & poppers binging (excessive use) is the source of this:

“It’s clearly something else that predisposes someone to having eye damage following popper inhalation.”

Dr Michael Chilov University of Sydney

“Some of the individuals in these reported cases were frequent (daily) users of amyl"

Dr Steven Bright

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.