Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

weirdest and oldest brand name

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by BNOC
on Sun, 16 Oct 2016 at 10:08

BNOC said on Sun, 16 Oct 2016 at 10:08...

hi, I am compiling a list of popper names for a paper I am writing. Can anyone tell me what is the oldest name used for marketing amyl nitrate.

cheerz!!

Anonymous said on Sun, 16 Oct 2016 at 16:45...

Snappers due to the glass bottle snapping. What paper??

Anonymous said on Sun, 16 Oct 2016 at 16:52...

Pig Black, Radical Rush.

Maninasuitcase said on Sun, 16 Oct 2016 at 17:36...

'Liquid Gold' has been around since 1984.

Old Hat said on Sun, 1 Jan 2017 at 13:18...

1984! Poppers were around long before that. The craze started because you could then buy little glass vials of NITRITE at a pharmacy. Someone (wonder who he/she was) discovered them and the word spread. They did not have brand names then, that was created by Jay Freezer / Clifford Irving and then Joe Miller etc. Freezer created the iconic name: Rush. Was Rush originally amyl? Who knows...and more importantly...who cares?? Get on with your life! It is last asking what color shoes I was wearing Christmas Day 1981? I don't remember and I don't care. Embrace now guyz!

Munchie said on Tue, 17 Jan 2017 at 18:05...

ahoha! as we say in these parts. There is an old saying in the mountains: him that can does, and him that can't preaches at other folk. Well let me tell you, I am 89 years old, I beat myself daily with hickory and I take molasses with grits. Never was I fitter! You stop telling other folks what they should and should not do!

Never say never! I have a clowder of Bobcat marshaling my property. How they all laughed when I told Miss Clapboil at the store about my doings! It can't be done, Old Munch, they said! They didn't reckon on Zebulon, he's the pack leader and he responds to my remarkable whistle.

I know the ways of the Bobcat, y'all drop by if you like being mauled by 20 underfed feline predators. Otherwise STAY AWAY!

Anonymous said on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 at 17:03...

old and weird, yes. Does Mrs Clapboil perhaps make her own poppers from high grade amyl nitrite? In the barn no doubt.

GlenKL said on Sun, 5 Feb 2017 at 08:21...

1968 I worked at whsle drug warehouse. Eli Lilly had boxes of10 small cloth enclosed glass ampules, & so did Burroughs Welcome. We put 2 or 3 in a bread sack, & passed it around. Always went great with anything else. I know those pharmaceutical companies products, then, were labeled "Amyl Nitrate, Bronchial Dilator." Burroughs Welcome also made a patented medication called "Methedrine." Smith, Kline & French made "Benzedrine, & Dexedrine." Dexedrine is still prescribed for ADHD.

Getof Myland said on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 at 20:05...

Howdie there Munch!

If you are ever in Ozarks be sure to drop by for some soda, cherry pie, and first aid to your un-mentionables. Y'all need it when my gaggle of mongooses get up your dungarees. Otherwise find your refreshments ELSEWHERE!

Getof & Stayof Myland

Munchie said on Sun, 11 Jun 2017 at 06:58...

Stayof Myland: y'all listen real good. I aint got no business in the Ozarks. I'm offering the hand of friendship!! so you get your boots over here. Y'all find a right pretty reception waiting for you. We got squirrel and home fries cooking on Sunday. Cory Bantic is waiting to greet y'all, he's a Caucasian Ovcharka and real friendly to folks that come visit.

Mags said on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 at 09:49...

There are no gender neutral brands >:-( They are all about machismo and sexist male hegemony.

Pop-O-Matic said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 at 00:32...

The first brand I knew of was Locker Room.
The imagery that conjured definitel said "gay" and the smell was that of funky gym socks, so I guess that inspired the name. I don't know of any older brand. The yellow and red labels are reminiscent of the color of original prescription Amyl.

Pop-O-Matic said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 at 00:45...

The first brand I knew of was Locker Room.
The imagery that conjured definitel said "gay" and the smell was that of funky gym socks, so I guess that inspired the name. I don't know of any older brand. The yellow and red labels are reminiscent of the color of original prescription Amyl.

chainboy said on Sat, 30 Dec 2017 at 09:10...

Rush is an older brand I think. It was originally amyl but Locker Room was butyl. Butyl arrived when amyl got caught up in a clampdown. Locker Room and Rush were two competing guys - Jay Freezer and Clifford Hassing. Freezer was the first *I think* and it was all happening on the streets of San Fransisco. There was once a huge poppers warehouse fire, it was a big deal in 70s, with articles in Wall Street Journal. Jay Freezer proposed selling poppers in supermarkets once.

OK7 said on Sat, 20 Jan 2018 at 10:17...

Cool :-)

In 1980 PWD were in San Fransisco according to some records:

PACIFIC WESTERN DISTRIBUTING CORP., San Francisco 94120. The USPTO has given the PWD trademark serial number of 73273453. The current federal status of this trademark filing is CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE.

From the same source you can see that Bolt started life in 1977, again in SF.

Toy said on Sat, 17 Feb 2018 at 10:10...

I lived before in San Fransisco with my boyfriend. At this time it is very easy to get good poppers in some shops in one street there. It was not Rush, but something that has a name like Hazed.

Pan said on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 at 09:16...

There have always been crazy names used for poppers! I mean the big guys used Rush...a great name as it describes the feeling. Then there are the quirky weird outfits. The funniest ever was Hot Pants Aroma! Long since defunct of course. No wonder really.

It does not get any weirder than Banapple Gas. The name of the Cat Stevens song.

Rush RIP? said on Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 20:17...

There was a real brand called Dr Bananas (it was a registered trademark circa 1982) another was Heart-On, pretty lame that one.

PWD names were always the coolest! Rush, Ram and Iron Horse. Kinda sums it up :-) can take you back in time to Castro 1976!

PressureMan714 said on Wed, 7 Feb 2024 at 21:47...

While growing up in the 70s, in New Orleans we used to get Banapple Gas amyl nitrate. It smelled like green apple and bananas. Wonderful!

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.