Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Replace Isopropyl nitrite with Isobutyl in the UK

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Andy
on Sat, 16 Jul 2016 at 11:14

Andy said on Sat, 16 Jul 2016 at 11:14...

I really think it is about time that the now brexit UK government get rid of this much more dangerous Isopropyl nitrite formula and replace it with the much safer Isobutyl nitrite. Isopropyl nitrite is 100% proven to cause maculopathy eye damage, sometimes permanent sight loss, which can happen from just one use. Politicians don't know the real scale of this as people who have been affected by it are probably so shit scared of what they have just done to themselves, the last thing they want to say to the doctor examining is oh, had a rather heavy old sesh on the poppers last night and.... when they have rushed themselves to A+E worried sick they're not going to see properly again. So the true scale of direct link to Isopropyl use is not really known. Doctors just see eye damage, or in a lot of cases don't see any damage at all, as you have to look at the eye in a certain place, and in a certain way to see the damage caused by Isopropyl use. Best to tell the doc what you have done straight away I think, as the sooner they know what they are looking for and the cause of it, the better. Doctors can't do much for the condition other than say don't use poppers again full stop. As for the much safer Isobutyl nitrite, this was banned as is was shown to be carcinogenic in tests carried out on mice where they were made to breath it in for hours, six hours I think it was for a week or two according to the research studies I found on the web. I'm not surprised the poor buggers got cancer. Tobacco causes cancer, alcohol rots your liver, ban them?? Not a chance, too much tax revenue coming in for that to happen, just slap a health warning on it. I would say occasional Isobutyl use is no more damaging than smoking or drinking. Everyone who has had eye problems with Isopropyl nitrite, tell your doctor so that a record is then made about the cause of the eye damage, the more cases known, hopefully the sooner the authorities will act and reverse this stupid change in formula, after all, the government know how people use poppers, and why, Crispin Blunt outed himself as a user in the house of commons so the oh well you shouldn't have been inhaling from the bottle bollox shouldn't even come in to it. People who want to spice up their sex life and enjoy Isobutyl, in my mind the best formulation for that really warm, spaced out totally absorbed in the moment slutty feeling that you get from Isobutyl, you should be able to buy this in the UK, and not risk going blind by only being able to buy this motherload of a headache inducing eye damaging Isopropyl poison.

Maninasuitcase said on Sat, 16 Jul 2016 at 13:42...

Andy, totally agree. The NHS know about the problem that wasn't there before 2007. Believe me I know, an eye doctor told me about it.

Andy said on Sun, 17 Jul 2016 at 10:32...

Fortunately thanks to the internet, we aren't quite yet forced into isopropyl avenue as our friends across the channel in France have some rather nice aromas for us to indulge in. Since they have relaxed the laws there, yep, the good old French have seen sense, they can make amyl, butyl and erm... propyl formulas. Poppers rapide and rue du poppers are very good and both deliver within a week to the UK to sign for, fully trackable. Good thing with rue du poppers is you can choose your formula, amy, butyl, and erm propyl, yeh right! Rue du poppers 'sex line blue' is really good! Poppers aromas.eu ship from france within a week with their own post and DPD here, you even get an email with your hour delivery slot on the day of delivery and the name of your driver, but aromas.eu have less of a choice than the parent company poppers rapide. Rue du poppers send it french post and parcelforce here. Google translate got me round the language issues so signing up to the sites was easy. But it would be so much easier if we could just go to the newsagent and grab a bottle of isobutyl for over 18's, health warning on the bottle even, off of the top shelf instead of having postage and packing and the weeks wait! Maybe one day in the not to distant future.

Pierce D. said on Sun, 17 Jul 2016 at 18:27...

How can the French be immune to a EU law? They are binding on all member states. Personally I would stay well clear of anything that has a cancer risk, but you are all big boys so that is up to you.

Maninasuitcase said on Sun, 17 Jul 2016 at 19:14...

The EU will collapse soon and we'll all get our good 'old style' poppers back.

Andy said on Sun, 17 Jul 2016 at 19:53...

No cigarettes, no alcohol, no bacon, no red meat, no cured meats, no food preservatives, no poppers, all cancer risks- the list goes on, on a risk per risk basis, for me, occasional low frequency isobutyl use comes very low down on my concerns list, don't drink, don't smoke, so i'll allow myself this one treat every now and then. The rats were hooked up 6 hours a day for up to 6 weeks so the rats didn't really stand a chance force fed it for that long! Even one of my mega sesh's don't go on anywhere near that! There were sarcoptes carcinona skin cancer allegations but they were never proven, this condition is to do with the immune and HIV not poppers use. The french have realised they are not listed as harmful. I'd rather buy from a company in France that list on the bottle the amyl. butyl, propyl formula you have bought, there must be some sort of quality control being openly sold and legal, rather than some questionable back street ice bath tub formula set up somwhere where it is of questionable legality. I think i'll take my chances.

Anonymous said on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 at 13:44...

Even though you actually have no idea whatsoever what the carcinogenicity actually is? You and others make disparaging remarks about the research, but that does not mean that this chemical when inhaled is not highly carcinogenic. The risk exists and using a John Bull attitude to dismiss the imposition of a ban you dislike is hardly sensible, is it? You also state: "The french have realised they are not listed as harmful." How do you work that out? The French situation is mysterious indeed, it does not imply wisdom or regulatory oversight, more likely the opposite.

Phil said on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 at 16:55...

@ an eye doctor told me about it.

what did he say?? The NHS has seen a SIGNIFICANT rise in SUDDEN maculopathy cases? The reported status is "a small group of patients in Leeds, Manchester and North Wales" i.e not the whole UK! It may not even be isopropyl itself. but an additive. hence the regional hot spot.

PS. The original nitrite is listed in UK legislation, i.e Dangerous Substances and Preparations (Safety) Regulations 2006. I think this is related to workplace safety as this chemical is sold as a cleaner. If it is sold as cleaner then expect the relevant legislation to apply - how is it sold en France - perhaps it circumvents this statutory restriction by being sold as poppers! :-)

plop said on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 at 20:23...

Just a thought.
Banning poppers has spawned a whole new trade of sub par poppers that are "Bad for you" So is banning the real poppers to begin with helping anyway? I don't think so. Health Canada will tell you otherwise I'm sure.
How bout hard drugs? College of physicians is coming down hard on doctors when prescribing opioids. I can only think that with all the thousands of overdoses from illicit drugs these days I can only think The government must be responsible for some of them. Cut someone off, they are going elsewhere. Legalize all drugs period I say. Just my opinion...man.

Andy said on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 at 20:47...

My point is we don't know isobutyl does cause cancer in people, certainly not the amount used recreationaly. We know tobacco causes cancer, I can choose to smoke. I would like to be able to have the choice to buy isobutyl in the UK instead of isopropyl that gives me a foul headache and could send me blind, so a chance something could cause me, with isobutyl, and the real risk of going blind with isopropyl, isobutyl wins hands down.

Andy said on Tue, 19 Jul 2016 at 10:18...

I suspect maculopathy could be down to the fact that isopropyl formulas are supposed to increase the pressure of the eyeball more, or more quickly possibly, than isobutyl formulas do, I read somewhere.They are more of a full on quick hit, but followed by a headache with me. You do get a yellow spot with isobutyl but it fades soon after, less eye pressure possibly?? No headaches with me though, which is a bonus! On that sad day they prove a direct link with low level isobutyl use to cancer in humans I shall have to meet up with, Mr amyl and or Mrs pentyl. All nitrites are nasty caustic poisons to the lungs and body, its just only having isopropyl known to cause permanent eye damage to purchase in the shops here in the UK is a bad idea. Moderation has to be the only answer, cos they are too bloody heavenly to completely have to do without, god I love them!!

Maninasuitcase said on Tue, 19 Jul 2016 at 10:32...

A new form of visual loss termed poppers maculopathy:

See article:

http://thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)60887-4/fulltext

Maninasuitcase said on Tue, 19 Jul 2016 at 12:13...

Andy:
Actually breathing fresh air can cause cancer, because many people who live clean lives and never do any drugs or booze die of cancer. Alternatively people who do loads of drugs and booze never get cancer.

Phil:
There are no additives, its the propyl that causes vision loss, read the Lancet article above.

Dixie Dong said on Tue, 19 Jul 2016 at 14:37...

I agree with that! I have led a life of frugal denial; 5am cold showers, grits,and wrestling with other menfolk hereabouts. I should I had spent my days eating char-grilled rib-eye, chain smoking, and downing liquor. Despite my spartan lifestyle the docs have told me I have max 10 years to live! I was born in 1923 and never thought I would see the day when a man with a toupe was President.

I would like to be able to have the choice to buy isobutyl in the UK instead of isopropyl

Yep! Same with asbestos festive snow decorations and the Lone Ranger Atomic Ring that used to be in cereal packs. The Govt should butt out of people's lives and get on with cutting taxes and sealing borders.

Andy said on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 at 10:18...

The government are allowing this isopropyl crap to be sold to people knowing, or at least someone there must know something about the damage it is causing to peoples eyesight. Most people would steer well clear if they knew of the damage it can cause, even one use. Nitrites have always been inhaled since amyl nitrite angina treatment. The government know what it is used for and how, I don't know anyone who lies back with their arse in the air after unscrewing the cap and waiting for the 'aroma to develop' in a well ventilated area, before starting their sesh. We need to go back to the old isobutyl formula that has served us, well me and so many others I know well enough since the '80s without any problems, I had never heard of poppers induced maculopathy until this wonderful 'new' isopropyl formula reared it's ugly head! Thank goodness for the internet.

Maninasuitcase said on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 at 16:42...

The government don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Butyl was force fed to rats by a scientist trying to make a name for himself.

Andy said on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 at 09:52...

Oh well done him! So he started the ball rolling then. He has certainly made a name for himself, one beginning with a C and ending in a T!! I am wondering how many of them rats would have been ok if they were made to inhale the amount most people use recreationally two or three times a week, not forgetting the difference in size between a person and a rat. I don't have any faith in that lab test whatsoever, certainly not enough to report to the powers that be and get a blanket ban on isobutyl, and a much more dangerous isopropyl given to us instead.

DD said on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 at 17:36...

Canut? That was the guy who used to shout at waves. If they banned both ipn and ibn I suppose a new one would pop up?

Andy said on Fri, 22 Jul 2016 at 09:45...

Better sticking to what you know, look at what they replaced isobutyl with! Something far worse. There is plenty of isobutyl out there, if you check out some of the french sites mentioned earlier in this thread, but be careful because they also sell isopropyl. DD, your right, something else would pop up in its place and it could be equally as nasty. I don't trust the UK authorities at all, anyone who replaces a product with something that is far worse and deems it safer is NOT to be trusted in my opinion

DD said on Fri, 22 Jul 2016 at 14:25...

I think it goes like this: when The Rat Man - Dr Canut - bans IBN via the EU then manufacturers find a new formula which is not banned. Same with cyclohexyl nitrite (which used to be called Rush USA Formula) Now that cyclo stuff is really gross! So your prediction is correct that worst follows. Or is it? I do not understand chemistry, but is there are infinite number of nitrite variations (or what you like) waiting to be brewed up?? It does not necessarily follow that they are automatically worse than their historic predecessor, but it seems that was the case before. I guess people like what they know, if it works why fix it. You also need to ask yourself WHY does such an obscure little brown bottle cause such a stink (forgive the pun) with so much meddling?

Andy said on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 at 10:20...

Never tried that cyclo wotsit stuff, I haven't ever seen anything good written about it so I don't think I'll bother. There are probably lots of variations out there waiting to be synthesised, tinkering about with a carbon atom or something to make something slightly different. Some may be ok, some not??? Its just no one knows how these possible new formulations will affect people, after all know one knew that isopropyl would cause eye damage when it first reared its ugly head in 2007. I think isobutyl, which has been around since the early 80's as far as I know or maybe longer, has had much more of a road test and no bad reports that I know of other than this lab test which rats were forced to inhale huge amounts, for several weeks, far more than recreational use and rats being the size they are compared to a person, bloody ludicrous!

Maninasuitcase said on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 at 18:45...

Because of the gap in the market people are looking for alternative sniffing formulas and sure enough they are appearing. Such as solid poppers and cyclo shit. This is the price we are paying for banning butyl. It's madness.

Maninasuitcase said on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 at 18:45...

Because of the gap in the market people are looking for alternative sniffing formulas and sure enough they are appearing. Such as solid poppers and cyclo shit. This is the price we are paying for banning butyl. It's madness.

Andy said on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 at 21:18...

Solid poppers, whatever next, don't fancy the idea of smearing that shit under my nose, or anywhere else for that matter. Its all isopropyl eye damaging shit from the ones i've seen anyway, so i'm not going near that stuff, and I don't understand how you can smear something on yourself and not get burns, after all it's still corrosive, isn't it???? Maninasuitcase, I think the french Sex line blue butyl is awsome, the others I have tried have been average, as you said on another thread i read, a bit raw, not quite right, lacking something. Worth trying though in my opinion before giving up totally on the french Butyl.

nic said on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 at 23:34...

80's butyl used to smell like sweaty socks and that was the way to tell if was fresh lol

Andy said on Sun, 24 Jul 2016 at 08:49...

Oooooh yes, that takes me back, I don't quite recall it smelling like sweaty socks, but it wasn't that pleasant. The smell got worse as it aged I remember, mind you it was never around long enough to age. :-)

Maninasuitcase said on Sun, 24 Jul 2016 at 08:59...

Yeah, the French Sexline butyl is about the best Ive come across since 2007.

Andy said on Sun, 24 Jul 2016 at 11:12...

Yes!! I'm glad somebody else has tried it, completely agree. It's the one that gives me the least amount of shit on my chest, I found pig black although quite good, made me cough up mouthfuls, like a 100 a day smoker!! Gate wasn't that much better for the old cough, cough spit either

Maninasuitcase said on Mon, 25 Jul 2016 at 07:25...

I tried the French Sexline butyl about 2 years ago from Lyon Poppers in France. it might have got better since. I'm ordering again from Rue Du Poppers.

Andy said on Mon, 25 Jul 2016 at 08:35...

So am I :-)

dunc said on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 at 16:16...

dont suppose anyone has tried the sexline red (amyl)?

Maninasuitcase said on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 at 16:48...

Yeah, tried it. Smelt like nail polish remover, seemed a good rush at first but then felt nauseous and flushed it down the lavatory.

Maninasuitcase said on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 at 16:51...

dunc: PWD is the real stuff, high quality butyl.

Andy said on Fri, 12 Aug 2016 at 08:41...

maninasuitcase, Any idea why aussie discreet labels their proper PWD rush as aroma amyl, what is that all about, proper PWD rush is isobutyl, my finger is hovering over buy now button........

Maninasuitcase said on Fri, 12 Aug 2016 at 19:11...

Andy, its fishy and Ive got my doubts PWD export to Australia, they don't seem to export out of the states and amyl is the same as pentyl.

Anonymous said on Sat, 13 Aug 2016 at 16:52...

there is an ad under poppersfreeshipping thread

Andy said on Sun, 14 Aug 2016 at 10:22...

Maninasuitcase. I read the reviews for Aussie discreets rush, customers saying its isobutyl and not amyl. Aussies answer, 'our jungle juice is amyl' (pentyl), 'our rush is Isobutyl. blah blah' If only I had read that before email 'ing them to ask! It's getting a bit cheaper now as I have been given a $7 off code and cheaper international p+p, don't know how much that would be until I complete an order I suppose. Seems to me this may be the real deal, just expensive, and the chance of Mr HMRC Jobsworth finding it first.

Anonymous. Thanks for that, I missed that advert. That has made me more sure they are selling the proper stuff, they wouldn't be going on about selling the proper PWD stuff if they didn't, especially in light of the fact PWD are making it very well known they are clamping down on fakes and companies that sell them, now they are back in business again.

Maninasuitcase said on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 at 11:32...

I remember seeing a list of fake PWD sites that PWD themselves had put up, a long list...

Maninasuitcase said on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 at 11:35...

http://neverfakeit.com/wallofshame.html

Christo said on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 at 12:49...

Hi guys. I was reading in your blog that u can buy good poppers from france. Can i get the website?

Andy said on Thu, 6 Oct 2016 at 09:14...

Try Rue du poppers.com, Personally I think sexline blue is the best they sell, but in saying that. the 'hot' one they sell I haven't tried, I have kept buying the sexline blue as it works quite well for me, not the best, but the best since 2007. If you try the 'hot' one, let me know what you think. I really wouldn't bother with their 'amyl', it give me a right nasty cough which lasted almost a week, also avoid propyl/isopropyl if you want to keep your eyesight.

freddie56 said on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 at 16:18...

I was a heavy popper user for about 15 years.
Two years ago I was diagnosed with a cancer called Multiple Myeloma. It's a cancer specifically linked to people working in the chemical industry.
I have always worked outdoors in fresh air.
I definitely link my cancer to the use of poppers.
I am not trying to tell you to stop using poppers just be aware that they can cause serious health problems.

user2 said on Fri, 2 Jun 2017 at 17:29...

As of may 30 2017 poppers from popperzone and poppersaromas and sexypoppers are all pentyl .no matter what brand you buy eg; jacked or rush or colt they all contain pentyl .so ya same formula with different labels.

twinklover said on Sun, 25 Feb 2018 at 16:47...

Shame about the risk of retinal damage, because I like isopropyl more than isopentyl and isobutyl. The first ever poppers I tried was isopropyl and it blew my mind.

LL said on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 at 16:16...

Thanks guys.

I googled Rue Du but didnt get a definitive link.

Does anyone know the URL ror the shop please?

TY

LL

DV8B42L8 said on Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 21:40...

I am just a regular gay guy. I have had shit loads of fun, and I have enjoyed poppers immensely Isobutyl and Isopropyl (although Isopropyl definitely sucks in comparison). I have just had a follow up STD check and all clear, all good. I am 39, slim, active, healthy eating. I just googled Isopropyl Nitrite and Cancer risks, and stumbled on this. I am riddled with skin cancer, I feel like I am 60, my back is knotted and my legs ache like a bitch most days. All I see here is a debate about which is the best poison, how the regulation of this poison is screwed up, while everyone posting here seems to have forgotten that lovely little buzz comes from poisoning your system. I know I am not going to be liked for this post, but I don't care, because I will never be in this forum again. You guys wake up, sniffing chemicals to get horny is not healthy or good, and you know it. Who developed this shit, was it just for money, really? come on! don't leave it too late to use your brain cell or you might end up like me.

Virgo said on Sat, 22 Feb 2020 at 04:04...

ive bought from popperpalace.com . Shipped to ENG in under 10 days. Double Scorpio and Rush

Andy said on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 23:35...

I'm waiting to receive some PWD rush isobutyl from popperspalace.com, very expensive flat delivery of $25 and for some odd reason the price for the UK is around double what it is for the US market, almost £60 in total for a 30ml bottle of PWD Rush, I'll reserve my judgement till I've tried it

popperbaited said on Wed, 20 May 2020 at 03:56...

Yeah they def fuck up your eyesight.. Ive had to stop them. Its really messed up to the point where you have to stop working. Ive recovered now after 3 months of black spots floaters and partial blindness and inability to focus and light sensitivity. I love poppers though so I hope someone can recommend which WONT fuck up your eyesight at ALL. Is it amyl? the old school poppers? where to get that from? Really contemplating brewing my own if thats the only guaranteed way to do it.
thanks for any recommendations!

popperbaited said on Mon, 25 May 2020 at 22:54...

JJ black, rush gold, and amsterdam platinum - toronto canada

PurplePunk said on Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 21:16...

What happens if you try to import isobutyl but it gets seized at customs ? Do you just lose your goods or are you facing some serious trouble ?

Konz said on Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 02:59...

PurplePunk you just loose the items. You'll get a letter of customs at some point, but you won't get in trouble.

JoshVR said on Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 10:45...

Guys - check out the website thetruthaboutpoppers.com

It is clearly stated by these companies that it is not for human consumption - If you know that there is a 50% chance that your vision could be affected by using poppers - would you really take the chance or the risk?. Unfortunately the reason why some of you find this site is when you are having issues after using these products - some people have no idea that their mental health / other physical issues are as a result of their popper usage. It's a solvent - and your abusing a solvent. It's called Solvent abuse / Chroming. Let's call it what it is - just because its been used by gay guys to make sex easier doesn't take away from what it actually does to you. Don't trust these companies who make these products as though they have a duty of care to you. They wouldn't even bother contacting you back if you damaged yourself as the result of using their product. Give them the finger that your not dumb enough to believe that they really think their products consist of Gay men who have an obsession with polishing their leather harnesses in night clubs, an ongoing nostalgic use of VCRs, and wanting their home to smell like a pungent volatile substance such as dirty socks

Stay Safe - Stay away from Poppers.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.