Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Popper distillation....

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Anonymous
on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 16:03

Anonymous said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 16:03...

Alcohols react readily with acidified aqueous nitrous acid solutions to generate alkyl nitrites. The reaction sets up an equilibrium, which can be driven to the right by the use of a large excess of the alcohol or by removal of the alkyl nitrite by distillation, since alkyl nitrites have lower boiling points than do the corresponding alcohols.

D. L. Williams wrote a chemistry book in 2004 that included the above quote. He says later that typically alkyl nitrites are distilled as they form in order for the reaction to reach completion. A large excess of alcohol will drive the reaction to the product, but then the product needs to be distilled to separate it from the base alcohol.

It's interesting to note that JJ Platinum used to claim it was triple distilled. Perhaps this was Joe's method of making consistently good poppers.

The Professor said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 16:58...

JJ label text was 'triple FILTERED', not distilled.

Jacked! said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 19:30...

Complete BS - Joe's method of making consistently good poppers

So many I bought were complete duds way back when. I even remember friends back then complaining. This is early on so not like the duds were not legit aka counterfeit. I used to travel for work and bought duds in half of the states. Yet always somebody praising the old stuff like it was something special. Half of Magic Joe's was crap along with the other stuff that was available. I still remember my first bottle of LockerRoom I bought in SanFricko - it was a dud. WTF!

The Professor said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 19:40...

If anyone is interested in what Ken thinks is somehow valuable information, the link is:

https://books.google.com/books?id=BVv0Lytq8foC&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=the+reaction+sets+up+an+equilibrium,+which+can+be+driven+to+the+right+by+the+use+of+a+large+excess+of+the+alcohol+or+by+removal+of+the+alkyl+nitrite+by+distillation&source=bl&ots=DKaG29KcyC&sig=ACfU3U1XmDd4023Iz9tt2WvfYw_7JTp3Lw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh5qP_z574AhWJpIkEHQsXBWcQ6AF6BAgCEAM#v=onepage&q=the%20reaction%20sets%20up%20an%20equilibrium%2C%20which%20can%20be%20driven%20to%20the%20right%20by%20the%20use%20of%20a%20large%20excess%20of%20the%20alcohol%20or%20by%20removal%20of%20the%20alkyl%20nitrite%20by%20distillation&f=false

The Professor said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 19:45...

Notably, the part of Ken's post he's calling a 'quote' has no quotation marks (as if it were text from his hallucinations), while the part of his post that says 'He says later that typically alkyl nitrites are distilled as they form in order for the reaction to reach completion.' I can't find anywhere in the book that implies a SIMULTANEOUS preparation and distillation.

That last part of Ken's post seems to be pure conjecture on his part, somewhat wrapped up in a 'quote' from a book.

Funny stuff coming from a guy who's opinion is 'screw chemistry'

Anonymous said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 22:19...

"JJ Gold Label Triple Distilled 30ml"

A recent product from Locker Room. Easy to Google.

The Professor said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 23:03...

Those would be counterfeits there ace; I thought you had contacts at locker room?

The Professor said on Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 23:05...

Gold and platinum original bottles say triple filtered, and the at copy mentions filtering with activated charcoal.

The counterfeit bottles on some shoes say triple distilled

Anonymous said on Thu, 9 Jun 2022 at 14:16...

Alkyl nitrite distillation or filtering it is only marketing bullshit.
There is no need for that kind of operations.

Anonymous said on Thu, 30 Jun 2022 at 16:01...

It is distilled in order to obtain a pure, more condensed product and thus more powerful

GimpScent said on Sun, 18 Feb 2024 at 23:52...

A bit too late to add to this topic.
Distillation doesnt make the product stronger(it does, but not enough to notice,5% in purity wont change much - talking about strength), but it makes it more stable, all nitrites decompose very fast when water is present. So distilled product will have longer shelf life.
Seeing msds of most top manufacturers i can say with confidence that the product is not distilled. Its stabilized with about 20%(or more) addition of crude alcohol, usually the one thats used in synthesis. Than dried over Sodium Bicarbonate, Magnesium sulfate and other drying agents, the drying steps might be done before cutting with alcohol. Probably they dry both the nitrite, and the alcohol.

Most modern day poppers dont even put the purity of product in the msds, they just say its reaction mass of chemicals used. Before 10 years there was product purity in JJ datasheets

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.