Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

fusel oils

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by lurker
on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 14:34

lurker said on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 14:34...

So if a person had access to fusel oils, say he was a liquor distiller and of course fusels would the tails from the distillation process which for a liquor distiller is basically waste material.

Would that make a superior product or just a cheap inferior product?
Why isn't that used today since, I assume, it would be cheaper to source?

I saw mention that was how in the 60's they made amyl nitrite and just had questions as to how that compares to today's synthesized materials.

The Professor said on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 14:44...

During a shortage, I think last year's, some of the vendors switched to fusel oil. I haven't heard good feedback. YMMV

lurker said on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 15:52...

So, it makes an inferior product then. I was just curious.

I assume the process would be different not being a chemist I wouldn't know how that process would work anyway. If the amyl-nitrite preparation wiki hadn't been posted by you a few messages ago, I wouldn't even have the current "how-to". Its hard to distinguish real chemistry from bro-chemistry on here with all the disinformation by what appears to be the same disinformation agent. His tone and writing style is obvious regardless of what handle he uses.

Some people have high blood pressure and having access to real amyl-nitrite might be of interest and that was my only interest. More of a scientific curiosity and a who knows when you might need it kind of thing.

lurker said on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 18:05...

Is there a place that has all the documents on synthesis?
@TheProfessor

The Professor said on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 19:32...

Alkyl nitrite preparation isn't difficult in the realm of chemistry. It's a very simple procedure, and yes, there are makers that think chemistry is like fancy cooking, and they end up spinning their wheels (like the unreliable witness you mention.

Chemistry information is everywhere in the Internet, and so is fantasy (as you've found).

Our wiki is prepared from collated information around the earth that contains factual explanations and guidance. Those are actual chemistry principles, not guesses or assumptions or conflation of opposing ideas.

The Professor said on Thu, 12 May 2022 at 19:49...

The wiki you downloaded isn't limited to any specific nitrite. I posted the various alcohols eq constants a while back. The procedure remains the same; the dwell time changes slightly (some nitrites like n-Amyl have a 2.6 eq constant and some have a k of less than one like IsoPropyl.

Very little difference, n_amyl is a bit more forgiving than IsoP, but not enough to make the prep any different

Anonymous said on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 16:18...

Fusel oil is not a waste material. Different aromas using in food industry is made of it. And still it is the best source of isoamyl alcohol, which is not easy to prepare otherwise. But making nitrites of that is not perhaps the best idea nowadays, because the product is mixture and mixture is impure product. And of impure nitrites we know that the lifetime is shorter than pure nitrites lifetime. And in Europe alkyl nitrite mixture made of fusel oil is containing too much isobutyl nitrite, which is forbidden in every way

The Professor said on Fri, 13 May 2022 at 19:34...

The OP mentioned it as a byproduct of ethyl alcohol distillation, and that's exactly what it is; in that respect it is a waste material just as OP states

Yes, that's the most economical source of Amyl alcohols, the OP also seems to be aware of this.

Yes, it's an impure compound, the OP seems to know this too

Leigh said on Sat, 14 May 2022 at 02:39...

Where can i buy rush online deliver to NZ please?

Anonymous said on Mon, 16 May 2022 at 12:22...

If you use an impure alcohol to make a popper, you are going to get a huge range of odors and effects. There will be total inconsistency.

The Professor said on Mon, 16 May 2022 at 17:14...

Fusel oils were used for decades in prescription poppers.

The alcohol's effect is to raise heart rate, nothing more. An UNsaturated nitrite will have varying degrees of parent alcohol dissolved in it, and THAT leads to a wide range of odors and wasted heart beats, which give raise to undesired effects.

Anonymous said on Wed, 18 May 2022 at 13:03...

ALL poppers, even when 100% pure, degrade back into their base alcohols, while forming other impurities. With that in mind, practically every OTC bottle will have some alcohol in it. And if it doesn't when first opened, it will soon thereafter. To suggest that only the base alcohol imparts undesirable effects is a grossly false assumption.

The Professor said on Wed, 18 May 2022 at 17:46...

Thanks Ken; it's so fun when you try to scold me for something; it truly reveals your hypocrisy.

Let's remember the conversations in which you were demanding that n-Amyl nitrite is the safest nitrite because it's the least toxic.

we went back and forth on that gem, with you forcefully denouncing the reality of the situation (as if ignorance will help you) and claiming that, even though the ALCOHOL was more toxic than butanol, and that a STREET sample would contain upwards of 10% unreacted alcohol, that it was, as you put it, 'safe to assume' that n-Amyl was safer because it didn't bring your blood pressure as low as n-Butyl.

Ridiculous; then and now

In THAT conversation you were just as ignorant, overconfident and wrong as you are now.

second; you have a reading problem with your straw man fallacy; I didn't say that "only the base alcohol imparts undesirable effects"

THAT's the grossly false assumption, and it's coming from inside your house.

thanks again for the vintage attack; it demonstrates your ignorance about what has happened to you over the years, your hypocrisy in attempting to communicate with another being and your overall stubborn nature in general

lurker said on Thu, 19 May 2022 at 21:13...

I'll have to look back thru old posts and see if I can find the mention of alcohols eq constants and dwell times.

The Professor said on Thu, 19 May 2022 at 22:50...

Low-key, eq constant is equilibrium constant, you'll probably get more boys from that than eq constant.

IsoPropylNitrite had an eq constant of 0.25 at room temperature, meaning the reverse reaction dominates the forward reaction, leading to un-reacted alcohol. I've previously posted the reaction control guidelines for a reversible, positive pressure, weak activation energy, exothermic reaction (the guideline is go as cold as you can, then add pressure to prevent freezing and you can go colder.

This sucks up un-reacted alcohol that counter-steering (adding additional reactants in an attempt to force the reaction towards product and away from ingredients) can't; you have to slow the roll or the vehicle wipes out

The Professor said on Thu, 19 May 2022 at 22:51...

Lurker, you'll probably get more hits from equilibrium constant than eq constant. Apologies for the typos

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.