Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Isopropyl Nitrite

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Anonymous
on Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 23:33

Anonymous said on Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 23:33...

If you want a very potent, strong ass relaxing nitrite, that's easy and cheap to make, IPN is it.

As long as you do what I did, you should NOT get toxic impurities that are so common in poppers. I just retested my 4th brew for both good effects and toxic effects and it's still GOOD after 2 days. I have had ZERO toxic effects. There's a very strong ass relax....and after a series of hits where you are trying to increase heart rate and intensity, the heart is pounding against the eardrum loudly, BUT it's not alarming because there are no sickening effects happening at the same time. It's just a sign the popper is working like it should. The heart has to pump much more strongly as the blood pressure lowers more. You will also breathe more vigorously.

thongjock said on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 07:01...

what is IPN? am i missing something?

Midair Collision said on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 07:32...

@thongjock isopropyl nitrite and stay away from it, and also the musings / advice / trolling(?)...whatever this is actually about... above.

Jimmy said on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 08:48...

Midair Collision: Correct.
Keep away from Iso Propyl Nitrite. Its nasty stuff that causes low oxygen levels, difficulty breathing, central vision loss and extreme fatigue.

Anonymous said on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 16:26...

Isopropyl, isobutyl and butyl nitrite are all very apt to possess impurities that cause toxic effects beyond the normal expected effects.

ALL nitrites increase heart rate as the nitrite ions relax blood vessels, making the blood pressure lower.

Amyl nitrite is less likely to possess these nasty toxic impurities, because they are less likely to form.

So IPN is not much worse than Isobutyl or butyl nitrite....in fact, effects may be stronger with IPN, but they don't last as long.

The negative effects from IPN are more from toxic impurities. None of the common poppers should make you feel staggering drunk, have a headache, feel uncomfortably warm, make the blood pressure drop without recovery, make the heart feel like it's about to explode out of your chest, cause visual and hearing disturbances, or in essence, cause you to feel like shit.

If they do any of the above, suspect toxic impurities first!!!

Anonymous said on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 16:27...

It's also important to realize that even a small percent of a toxic impurity can make the popper TOXIC!!!

Anonymous said on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 16:36...

I recommend normal amyl nitrite made from one-pentanol because it smells mild, is fairly stable, builds to a sustainable high and is less apt to give toxic effects when and if impurities are present.

BUT I do NOT recommend isoamyl/isopentyl nitrite because it degrades quickly to a funky, foul odor and can cause a cough reflex as it breaks down to isoamyl alcohol, which causes a cough reflex.

BUT....if making poppers at home, n-amyl and n-butyl alcohols, from quality chemical makers are EXPENSIVE and so quality/consistency will suffer when resorting to second dealers. And as I've stated, if n-butyl nitrite isn't made correctly with high quality reagents, it will most likely possess toxic impurities.

The only advantage with IPN is that IPA is cheap and easy to get.

kens-anus said on Fri, 1 Apr 2022 at 00:10...

proven falsehoods and lies keep coming from your hole dude.....thought you might wanna know

distillation and alcohol freshness:

1914: the alcohols that were readily available did NOT include specific isomers of 1-Pentanol.

today: highly pure isomers of most of the alcohols are readily available

common batch procedures achieve very high purity (>95% typically) WITHOUT having to resort to distillation.

TL:DR: pure alcohols were a problem in the early 20th century, but are no longer an issue.

Reaction yield:

With the liquid batch process, the goal is convert the reactants to the desired compound within a certain volume. Factors that determine the residence time (required to complete the reaction), include temperature and reactor volume, as well as flow rate.

low temp require longer time to complete reaction

Temp measures heat content; heat content is energy.
Reactions have a stated minimum energy threshold to occur.
higher temperatures increase the possibility of side reactions.

your failures at sub-zero temperatures are caused by not properly calculating the residence time required for reactants. lower temp and larger volume require longer residence time.

too little time and reaction will have low yield
too much time and side reactions are more likely

TL;DR the way to go is to first attain reaction control by manipulating the icebath temp (-12 to -15C is fantastic), the HCL concentration and flow rate (with 500ml reaction vessel 1.02ml/min flow rate at first, 1.45 ml/min after 30 minutes,) then calculate additional residence time required.

the colder the better, but additional residence time as needed

Impurities:

the know impurities and degradation process (the real ones, not ken's BS) are posted here previously

https://poppersguide.com/forum/11582

most prominent POSSIBLE SIDE PRODUCTS DURING SYNTHESIS:

1. acetate of the parent alcohol (aroma)
2. aldehyde of the parent alcohol (caustic aroma)
3. butyric acid (many possible odors, no effects)
4. formic acid (pungent)
5. nitrate of the parent alcohol (drastic blood pressure drop)
6. acetone
7. acetic acid (leads to acetates (aroma with little/no effect)

most prominent possible SIDE PRODUCTS OF DEGRADATION:

1. parent alcohol (aroma, cough)
2. butyric acid
3. 1,1'-diisobutoxy-isobutane (strong aroma)
4. acetate of the parent alcohol (aroma with no effect)
5. formic acid
6. nitrate of the parent alcohol (drastic blood pressure drop)

Of course, for an impurity to have a detrimental effect, it must have a vapor pressure

PRICE:

Using the best materials, Any alkyl nitrite will cost approximately 30
cents per milliliter.

Sure; you can by isopropyl alcohol at wal-mart for less than genuine Butanol, but stay out of the bottom of the barrel and your results will improve

Brewnewb said on Fri, 8 Apr 2022 at 00:18...

What's the easiest method to get water down to -15 degrees? Is salt and ice alone enough? Should it sit or stir furiously?

The Professor said on Fri, 8 Apr 2022 at 00:44...

@Brewnewb

Salt and ice will get you down there. depending on the alcohol, -15C might be too low, and the yield will freeze over. I usually aim for -12C.

I prep in a 500ml beaker, inside a 2qt measuring bowl.
9 cups of ice crushed into snow with a fruit ninja blender duo (for healthier results)

350 grams of raw salt (no iodine) put ice and salt into a 2 gallon freezer bag and shake until mixed.

That will get you down to -12C or lower, depending on your drip rate, magnetic spin speed and HCL concentration.

Trying to do the above (It's a simple ion swap reaction) at room temp or near is fruitless. when the acid hits the sodium nitrite, the reaction is very exothermic. Average temp in the pot may only change a couple of degrees, but at the reaction site, cramming all that energy into the micro-liter size of the reaction site will end up boiling off reactants. People end up with hit-or-miss (mostly miss) results that can't be reliably duplicated.

That's because the reaction vessel is not under control.

How I gained reaction control:

it's a simple ion swap with equimolar stoichiometry. At higher temperatures, a slight excess of HCL and NaNO2 is suggested to counter the losses from running at such high temps.

Start At -12c and a very slow stir rate (just enough to circulate the reactants, no vortex) dilute the HCL until each drop no longer erupts with bubbles, foam or any sign of heat increase.

For the first 1/2 hour or so, drip at 1.02ml/min, then bump it up to 1.45ml/min.

At about the halfway point, the cooling bath will probably have to be refreshed (ice and salt are cheap).

When the reaction is complete (typically about 80 minutes) a 1 mol reaction should give you roughly 120ml yield.

the crude yield should be washed/dried and possibly stabilized/post processed , depending on your needs.

I don't recommend drying with mag sulfate; it's a quick dry, but the chemical accelerates nitrite decomposition.

The Professor said on Fri, 8 Apr 2022 at 00:47...

typical reaction time is 180 minutes. Colder preps need longer residence time in the reaction vessel

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.