Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

how to recover a product that has become obnoxious to inhale

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by The Professor
on Sun, 24 Oct 2021 at 20:50

The Professor said on Sun, 24 Oct 2021 at 20:50...

If it's OTC or homemade; if your product has become harsh to inhale, and the harshness is interfering with the potency, the product can be recovered if it still has potency.

To properly neutralize the excess acid that is dissolved in the yield you first add 20% w/v of distilled water, then 20% w/v baking soda and stir or shake until no longer fizzing.

That's a neutralization, quick, easy, and it can also be used to quickly remove acids from a putrid OTC product. It won't eliminate the resulting SALTS (e.g. neutralizing butyric acid leaves behind sodium butyrate), but it will remove many objectionable qualities of an otherwise 'dead' bottle.

To keep the product fresh, add 10-15%w/v baking soda and activated alumina.

Baking soda will continue to neutralize acid caused by opening the bottle to air, and AA will adsorb resulting water that destroys nitrite

for a 10ml bottle of poppers:

start by pouring the poppers off into a larger, clear bottle so you can see what's happening

add 2 eye droppers (about 2 ml) of water and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (about 2 grams)

shake the bottle until it stops fizzing, then remove the baking soda and water from the bottom of the bottle.

the poppers are now neutralized for up to 20% of acid build-up. If that isn't enough, do another neutralization.

When the poppers are neutralized, add 10-15% baking soda (about 1/2 teaspoon) and 1/4 teaspoon of activated alumina.

The baking soda will neutralize acids and the AA will adsorb water

Your poppers should now stay fresh until they evaporate

Elvis said on Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 12:14...

I will definitely try this. Thanks. I had to throw away a bottle just yesterday because it turned bad. Very noxious.

Anonymous said on Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 19:52...

How would you remove the baking soda and water from the bottle I don't understand that bit properly sorry

The Professor said on Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 21:41...

whatever method you prefer;

suck the good stuff off the top with a turkey baster, suck the bad stuff off the bottom, chill the entire bottle and pour the liquid off from the thick paste, use a separatory funnel to drop the waste out from under the yield.....etc.

Elvis said on Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 17:16...

Professor, is activated alumina what comes in those basic dessicant packs that get shipped with store bought items ? If not, would it be a good substitute ? Ive got those things laying around everywhere.

The Professor said on Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 18:09...

silica gel is an aBsorbent, like a sponge; it attracts water to itself, but the water isn't sequestered; Activated alumina is and aDsorbent; it traps water molecules in its pores, and to be removed, they must be heated (preferably under vacuum.

silica gel will concentrate water to the area around the beads, but it still will contact the poppers and destroy them.

SOME silica gel comes wrapped in Tyvek; a one-way breathable material. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it may be worth a try

Elvis said on Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 19:44...

Okay. Thanks Professor. That makes sense. I did a quick look. Activated Alumina is relatively inexpensive. And definitely cheaper than buying new bottles if they can be brought back to life. It would probably pay for itself after just the first few bottles with plenty to spare. And I'm assuming the baking soda is just the basic food grade baking soda available at any grocery store ?

The Professor said on Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 22:21...

yes, plain old baking soda; i'm trying to keep this as inexpensive as possible, with ingredients you might already have.

uinstitches said on Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 19:45...

Is buildup of acid what causes that stereotype of a popper abuser that has yellow hagged skin and loses all their muscle and develops psychosis? Like the acidic fumes erode u from inside out?

The Professor said on Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 21:39...

i haven't heard that stereotype, sorry

Billy said on Wed, 3 Nov 2021 at 13:56...

Yes, uinstitches, that is the reason. Repeatedly abusing a toxic product will make you unhealthy in mind and body. We've seen it in some of the posts on this forum! Poppers corrode your soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkQXnQ0plDA

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.