Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

The boiling point of isopropyl nitrite is 39 degrees.

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Justin
on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 13:09

Justin said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 13:09...

The boiling point of isopropyl nitrite is 39 degrees. When the room temperature is 40 degrees, will it be dangerous? Will it explode?

Justin said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 13:12...

When the bottled liquid reaches the boiling point, will the bottle explode? If it explodes physically, it will burn

pp_slut said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 16:01...

I'm no chemistry expert, but does boiling point not only mean changing from liquid to vaporous?
Please correct me if I'm wrong!
It's a long time since school and I had more eyes for our good looking teacher (omg - what a real pretty lady) than anything else....

Boiling does not always mean a exothermic reaction.
In fact if you boil water, than the water is changing from liquid to vaporous because you add heat - but it does not mean the water producces heat

It's similar to melting point - which indicates the temperature at which something is changing from solid to liquid.

I'm right?

pp_slut said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 16:23...

...and time during changing temperature and surounding pressure is also something which effects melting, boiling...
So it's more how much energy over which time you're adding to the stuff and if there is any other substance for reaction.

At 40 degrees in a room it will try to change from liquid to vaporous and some small amout will do so which rises the pressure inside the bottle a bit, but the bottle is strong enought to not leak.

If you open the bottle you will allow the stuff extend and at the end of the day you will have a smelly room and a empty bottle.
Nothing more I guess.

If you take the bottle out a freezer and but it staight away into some hot, buring flame, than you add more energy in a short time and the bottle will probably break, which means:

high energy in short time => high pressure => which breaks the bottle => broken bottle means sourounding air which allowes the stuff to react with something else under good conditions

pp_slut said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 16:31...

so to short answer your question:

"When the bottled liquid reaches the boiling point, will the bottle explode?"

No, it will not explode, but the bottle will maybe start leaking because of some higher inner pressure espacilly because of the plastic cap which will become more elastic on higher temperatures.

So avoid storing it on warm/hot conditions

s said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 17:07...

YES. It really will explode. But it does not because the product is not pure isopropyl nitrite. And there are some stabilisers which collect the gases and prevents explosions. Alkyl nitrites are explosives. So it will explode even in lower temperatures because the alkyl nitrites are unstable.

pp_slut said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 19:20...

@s in pure, clean form will it explode because it will instantly switch from liquid to gas which will result in extreme high pressure in short time?
Is from liquid to gas exothermal or because it reacts with something else like air (O2, CO2 whatever…)?
Do you maybe know it?

OMG! said on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 22:30...

"The Barracks at 1147 Folsom St. between Seventh and Eighth streets was a two-story BDSM wonderland with theme rooms that catered to every fetish imaginable. After opening in 1971, the bathhouse quickly established itself as one of the biggest and best known clubs on Folsom's “Miracle Mile,” a stretch of nearly 30 different leather bars and clubs in South of Market.

The club closed down in 1976, and was being redeveloped into a hotel in 1981 until somebody lit a match and the whole thing went up in flames."

&

"One of the apartments destroyed by the fire was owned by the company that produced the chemical “particularly popular among gay men” to “produce an intense orgasm,” according to “health officials” quoted by the Chron.

&

“Homosexuals dressed in leather and chains were among those who watched thick smoke from the blaze darken the sky,” according to the AP.

Ohhhh...poppers explode? The Great Fire of Folsom Street! Hysteria!

Unfortunately this is another homophobic POPPERS MYTH!

An angry workman, who had been drinking, later admitted arson and was jailed for 7 years. Nothing to do with Rush, he torched the place because he was pissed off..and pissed.

Poppers do not explode, this is BULLSHIT. A major manufacturing plant might feasibly have an issue like this through serious negligence; but that is the case with many chemical production units. The idea that a few bottles of poppers, or even a shop full of them, presents this risk is preposterous. Or why didn't those famed clubs where "amyl nitrate" was thick in the air not just explode!

Poppers have long been the whipping boy for many tragedies. The most famous case being the complete horse shit story that poppers caused AIDS, promoted by a discredited "expert".

The latest is that poppers are somehow linked to a vast range of medical conditions...why? because some guy says so....like: "ooooh...I have hair loss and my bollocks itch...last week I tried poppers...I am sure they caused it...enter THE SCAREMONGERS....oooh yes...I am sure of it...blah blah blah. Exploding poppers, poppers that are the cause of any illness under the sun....pure 100% CRAP.

justin said on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 06:49...

thinks !!
If high temperature causes explosion, will it lead to combustion? Have you heard about the explosion of isopropyl nitrite or the fire

justin said on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 06:51...

thinks!pp_slut S OMG

justin said on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 07:04...

Who knows what percentage of isopropyl nitrite is in the product and what are the other liquids

justin said on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 07:16...

The boiling point of isopropyl nitrite is 39 degrees. Is the boiling point of the product containing isopropyl nitrite higher than or lower than 39 degrees

s said on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 18:38...

Alkyl nitrites (even famous amyl) could explode because they are unstable and breaking products are in gaseous form. No heat or other chemical is needed.

That's why poppers should be made with stabiliser, a chemical which collects those gases or which prevents breaking. Usually they work for three years. The technic is principally same as in explosives.

If you go to the club with isopropyl poppers it would boil in your pocket if the bottle contains only isopropyl nitrite. And has that happened? No because poppers is a product which contain other chemicals too and the boiling point of poppers is higher.

The Professor said on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 22:30...

@S:

the vapor pressure of alkyl nitrite of any parent alcohol isn't high enough to rupture the glass bottle they are contained in; it's a very low pressure buildup. The only rupture problems were with those (thin glass) ampoules that were covered in a fiberglass mesh; you broke the bottle open to saturate the mesh. That was the prescription form, and some ampoules were exploding on the shelf. potassium carbonate stabilizes the nitrite so it doesn't produce decomposition gasses anymore, but a regular 10ml bottle has thicker glass.

Isopropyl will NOT boil in one' pocket (its bp is 39C, 102F), but it WILL boil and degrade (as will all alkyl nitrites) during shipping by air.

justin said on Sat, 17 Jul 2021 at 15:43...

@S。Do you know what other chemicals are in poppers that contain isopropyl nitrite? The boiling point of this kind of poppers is higher than 39 degrees. Do you have a specific number of degrees.

justin said on Sat, 17 Jul 2021 at 15:49...

@ The Professor hi!The boiling point of poppers containing isopropyl nitrite will not cause the bottle to explode. Will the plastic cover of the bottle be opened by pressure. If the poppers have been opened and tightened. I asked a lot of chemistry teachers, they said as long as the boiling point reaches 39 degrees or reaches 40 degrees, there is the possibility of physical explosion. What I'm most concerned about is whether this kind of poppers will explode and cause combustion

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.