Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

1970s Poppers Brand

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Kissmequick
on Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 23:29

Kissmequick said on Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 23:29...

According to his new book, Me, Elton John's preferred poppers brand was something called Cum. The story goes he offered it to Rod Stewart, who was a reluctant dancer. Rod started to dance and commented "Ere, you got any more that Cum, Sharon?" This was at a discotheque called Studio 54. Me is full of amusing anecdotes of that kind. I imagine that Cum was amyl nitrite, do not know who made it.

I only started reading the book (surprising good) to avoid the TV. There's a lot on the news at the moment that is not good :-(

Here's a fact - despite being a rather tacky brand name, it is not the worst...here are a few REAL poppers brand names from 2019:

DARKHOG THAR BE BLOWS
FULL PISS STRONG MEGA PELLET STRONG (bottle has a pic of a guy urinating in his partners mouth)
FUCK Y!U BITCH 100%

I understand why some might think it good idea to give their brand an obscene name. I get it! But what about the first one? What the blooming heck is that! (or WTF if you speak internet jargon) Who is Darkhog? Thar be? Weird, or is it a Chinese typo. PWD names are so classy by comparison...Rush, Iron Horse, Quicksilver, Ram. They convey the sense without resorting to in your face vulgarity.

Stay safe people and if any of you are preppers....room for one more and a budgerigar?

PJ said on Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 23:08...

The Pac West designs are iconic as well. The red and yellow livery of Rush, those super cool posters of bikers and cowboys. They were created by a top graphic designer - as were Captain Rush cartoon strips. Different era.

Porkchops said on Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 13:12...

Capt. Rush appeared in a gay San Fransisco publication (70s) and the original ones were not so artistic! Hastily drawn and quite crude. They were advertisements; the poppers industry was the biggest buyer of ad space in those publications. The Committee to Monitor Poppers claimed this is how poppers became so mainstream in gay culture. The ridiculous brand names today are a reflection of the fact that Joe Miller is no longer with us. Apart from producing quality products, he had market share, Joe was basically The Pope of Poppers (he defended the industry from zealots and fringe lunatic scientists). That term "Pope of Poppers" was originally applied to his predecessor at Rush Brands (GLP) Jay Freezer. Joe Miller was a smooth operator in the 80s, without him poppers would no longer be around.

I wish I could remember the name of the guy who created that later artwork. I guess his work is a collector item now. Raunchy and somewhat in the style of Tom of Finland (maybe better though) Returning to Capt Rush; I think there was some drama with Marvel Comics about that character, but maybe that was gossip.

Tight 501s show a bottle well; just remember not to sit on a bar stool and which pocket you put it in.

Be safe guys.

Meldrew said on Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 18:58...

a budgerigar?

Take him down to J D Wetherspoon's for a pint. He will feel right at home with the other bird brains.

Unhinged said on Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 20:00...

Hurry up, Wetherspoons closes tonight !!!

The Dreadful Flying Glove said on Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 11:31...

Sexist! you assume the bird is a bloke. It is not advisable to give budgies alcohol as they can become difficult and aggressive. In Australia they fly around in great swarms and have been known to attack millet farms. The man with the funny voice who own Spoons may have something to say about it too. He has plenty to say about all sorts of things. I have a recurring nightmare where I am stuck in a lift with that guy (Tim something?), Piers Morgan and Dame Vera Lynn. A fight breaks out and Dame Vera starts singing White Cliffs of Dover to calm everyone down. Tim head butts Piers and then I wake up in a cold sweat.

Moonwater said on Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 12:52...

Studio 54 = New York City so I think that means it was iso-butyl, but depends on the date. Amyl was the original but stopped when? I think late 60s. Don't think Rod Stewart and Elton were famous until the 1970s. Wonder when poppers first arrived in the United Kingdom; I am going to say 1978.

The Wetherspoons guy and now that Sports Direct guy have both had their "Ratner moment" recently. I think it is a bit of a PR minefield out there, I see that F list celebs are pumping out stories galore. What will happen to out of work soap stars....oh my. Of course if they were brainy the soaps would cut to a few actors stuck at home...but then that would require serious writing talent - Hancock style - not explosions, murders, car crashes and silly melodrama. Stupid people watch soaps, so that is a good way to ram home the message about this rotten virus.

Unhinged said on Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 12:58...

It's Tim Wetherspoons! I mean, Tim Martin. The guy with the funny hairdo who looks a bit like Mick Hucknall.

Meldrew said on Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 19:39...

lol

He certainly has an individual style! I recall he was always on TV jabbering on about Brexit. I think he rather fancies himself as a right-wing Richard Branson.

Jimmy Feral said on Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 16:07...

What is he supposed to do!? Spoon out free money! He is a businessman, not a fucking charity. If he does start spooning out dosh he will go belly up and Spoonys will get grabbed by a foreign investment gang when things return to normal. Nobody wants that! Pisses me off these whiners that think they have a right to stick their mittens in Timbo's purse. Should have done what I did..put something by for a rainy day. I've stocked up on ciggies and the wife has got the freezer jam packed. Got a pair of ear plugs an all....if there was an Olympic medal for talking she'd get a bleedin' gold medal.

Unhinged said on Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 19:04...

I'm sure Spoons will Wether the storm and will reopen In grand style. Good old Tim's always been onto a winner with old kinemas converted into pubs serving up cheap ales.

Anonymous said on Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 08:41...

Peter Andre to release a new version of his amazing chart topper: Mysterious Girl?

oh oh oh oh oh
Mysterious Girl I want u 2 meters away from me.
I don't know where u bin, innit, is you virus free?

oh oh oh oh oh
Mysterious Girl what I seen on dat sexy beach
Wash your mits, yo, sanitize de bog with bleach.

Not only would Peter cheer up the nation with his chirpin' - but would also show himself to be a big tool, in the nations fight against disease.

Long Live Spoons!

Rosa Klebb said on Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 11:23...

"poppers would no longer be around"....in The United States of America.

Other countries have their own production and poppers regulation you know. France, Belgium, Portugal, United Kingdom, Holland. Last time i look not part of Mr Trumpland.

if historic PWD could call their products by a sexy name (and it sold well) they would have. They must be cautious as they were, maybe still are, the big dog on the block. Poppers with rude names mostly come from China where they can call it what they like...including typos. They also sometimes say things like "for gay"/

Billy said on Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 17:59...

Well it's awfully quiet around here!

I just hope Crispin Blunt isn't overdoing the poppers. Now just isn't the time!

PopperStarter said on Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 01:40...

With all the sex shops currently closed, I need some recommendations of legit sites that sell real poppers. Can you guys help me out?

Roger said on Sat, 25 Apr 2020 at 06:39...

Try this one and let us know how you get on:

https://www.torontopoppers.com/

Ace13 said on Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 22:15...

I have been talking poppers for a long time now I can fell nothing how long do I Need to wait for my body to reset ???

Stalin The Undead said on Sun, 3 May 2020 at 08:18...

Has anyone ordered poppers from this outfit? They ship to Europe:

http://www.liquidaromapower.com/liquid-aroma

The Dreadful Flying Glove said on Sat, 23 May 2020 at 14:50...

You need to take vitamins, Ace 13. Which ones I cannot remember. A popper detox is required.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.