Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Proper mixing technique for poppers

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Madeplentypoppers
on Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 18:38

Madeplentypoppers said on Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 18:38...

Recently, I have realized that the mixing technique is critical when making poppers. It's important to NOT churn the top layer back into the water/acid/sodium nitrite layer. Allow the alcohol and yellow popper layer to float on top the whole time, while the sodium nitrite solution mixes below it.

I have done this and it made a huge difference. I used Duda food grade SN, Muriatic acid from Menards and TCI amyl alcohol.

7.5 grams SN into 20mls water
about 10 mls alcohol per 10mls muriatic.
Keep around 32F and slowly add the HCl last, dripping slowly either under the top layer or close to the sides. You don't want acid dropped directly on formed nitrite. There will be visible bubbling blue nitrous acid.....allow the pot to keep mixing until that's gone, BUT NEVER churn the top layer back into the water layer.

Dry on baking soda, anhydrous mag sulfate and store on Molecular sieves 4.

Hadenoughofsuppliers said on Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 03:06...

Thank you.
Much appreciated.

Hadenoughofsuppliers said on Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 03:21...

...assuming you're using a magnetic stirrer?

Madeplentypoppers said on Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 18:25...

Yes...mag stirrer. I am getting the tropical fruit type odor for n-amyl nitrite right out of the pot with lots of potency. Manually stir the baking soda/mag sulfate until it clears up the popper and clumps look dry. Sit for up to 15-20 minutes and pour in dry bottle with molecular sieve 4.

Lizi said on Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 23:49...

Madeplentypoppers thanks for the information. Have you mae popper using isopropyl alcohol 70% ?

Moved / Madeplentypoppers said on Tue, 24 Dec 2019 at 13:37...

Use LESS WATER which can force the reaction to the right towards the popper.

I have tried it a number of times with sulfuric....I use about a 25 to 30% dilution of sulfuric acid. So about 8mls water and 3 mls conc. acid. I add the acid last, drip drip drip...about every 3 seconds...while manually stirring a glass container having 15mls water, 8 grams SN and 10mls amyl alcohol. Acid dilution is very cold. There will be a thick white precip that's very hard to stir....keep watching for product to form. Stop adding before the white precip turns to clumpy cake. Harvest immediately. Discard the rest. You may not have to use all the acid dilution. Use a little dry baking soda to neutralize and pour onto anhydrous sodium carbonate and MS4. Mine lasted 24 to 48 hours with regular use. Should have a slight fruity odor when first made.

Madeplentypoppers said on Mon, 23 Dec 2019 at 22:57...

I'm only getting about a 60 to 70% yield or about 6 to 7 mls amyl nitrite.

Hadenoughofsuppliers said on Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 03:04...

Madeplentypoppers.
What is your opinion of using (specifically) Iso-amyl Alcohol as the base ingredient?
TIA.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.