Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Have my poppers gone off?

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Ukpopperbate
on Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 13:03

Ukpopperbate said on Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 13:03...

I bought some jungle juice online (pentyl). I live in the UK so usually only get isopropyl and have just opened the JJ and it smells completely different - how do I know if this is what they are meant to smell like or if they’ve gone off?

baM said on Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 08:40...

They smell different, that's normal. Pentyl is a stronger smell and fruitier (like sour apple sweets imo) but doesn't kick as hard as isopropyl does with its mild cleaning solvent type smell.

Ukpopperbate said on Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 12:24...

That’s really helpful thanks! It was that fruity sour smell (I think of banana flavour medicine I had as a kid) that made me think it was off!

PJ said on Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 07:42...

Do not forget that crinkly orange plastic wrapper on Lucozade, although banana flavour cough medicine is a good memory jogger, thanks.

Sweet, semi-sour, pungent, and sticky is pentyl nitrite / or iso-pentyl. They say it is like a basket of JUNGLE fruit, hence J Juice.

baM is right about propyl: mild, hard kick, and not good 4 me.

Madeplentypoppers said on Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 15:16...

I bought 500 mls of isopentyl nitrite from Alfa Aesar. It had a slight fruity banana odor when I first opened it, but also an acidic odor. It quickly went bad in a week despite frig and potassium carbonate preservative. It smelled like vinegar and dead fish at that point. It never smelled very sweet, like Isobutyl, butyl or isopropyl. Just smelled a little more like fruit.

I make n-amyl or pentyl nitrite and the alcohol smells very mild, and not very pungent. The n-amyl nitrite I make has hardly any odor....when it degrades...perhaps a bit of a foral perfume odor.

Madeplentypoppers said on Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 15:18...

My best guess is that when any of the poppers smell bad, have bitter or acidic off odors, then they are not pure.

DPR1 said on Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 18:34...

Yeah I have bought pentyl poppers and they are unusable. The smell is completely "off".

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.