Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Long-Term Health Issues?

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by J
on Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 05:39

J said on Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 05:39...

I really enjoy using poppers, however, I'd have to imagine there are some long-term consequences from using this.

It seems pretty hard to find any studies. Please share scientific studies and REAL info on the long-term health consequences (or lack thereof) of using poppers.

Thanks!

Motorhead Sherwood said on Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 08:09...

Try working your way through http://poppersguide.com/forum/10213. It contains references to a handful of scientific studies regarding vision probs and poppers.

Try googling for scientific papers by using other words for poppers: inhalents, volatile, nitrites etc.

X said on Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 15:22...

Poppers are not inhalants in the pejorative use of that term. Amyl has a proven century-long history in the medical / emergency services environment. It is still widely used as an antidote to snake bites.

Serious scientific studies were carried out in the past and concluded poppers were safe. All this data was in one place: allaboutpoppers.com

Maculopathy is linked to one formula only: Isopropyl Nitrite.

"The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy reports insignificant hazard associated with inhalation of alkyl nitrites, and British governmental guidance on the relative harmfulness of alkyl nitrites places them among the less harmful of recreational drugs.

Nutt, D.; King, L.A.; Saulsbury, W.; Blakemore, C. (March 2007). "Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse". Lancet. 369 (9566): 1047–1053."

Motorhead Sherwood said on Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 08:09...

Thanks, X!
I stand corrected on the term inhalents. (But the term is sometimes used)

The thing here is that "poppers" can mean anything and indeed it seems clear that some chemicals sold as poppers are harmless and others are not.

e.g. in https://bjo.bmj.com/content/101/11/1530:
"On the basis of the products tested here, it seems that isopropyl nitrite is toxic to the fovea and can cause significant visual disturbance"

So my advice would be: if you don't know with certainty that your bottle contains "Amyl" (the orignal poppers formula): stay away from it.

Ade said on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 11:08...

Nitrites are carcinogenic at the very low levels in bacon and contaminated water. You can imagine what huffing a concentrated hit of it miight do. I've been a heavy user since I was 18, (47 now). If I get a nose/throat/lung/liver/bladder cancer, I'll know what did it.

Madeplentypoppers said on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 14:31...

Nitrites....including sodium nitrite, the food preservative, are toxic. It only takes 6 to 7 grams of sodium nitrite powder to kill a person via ingestion. They aren't as toxic when inhaled merely because the dose is much smaller. But they still do the same thing.....decrease blood pressure and cause anemia by negatively impacting red blood cells. This is all well known and it happens immediately. Sodium nitrite is sometimes used to kill unwanted animals. It kills by decreasing blood pressure to levels that cannot sustain life. Alkyl nitrites can do the same thing under the right circumstances.

marcobttm34 said on Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 13:12... said on Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 14:45...

hi all,

i've been using blue boy poppers and loving them! however the last 6 months or so ive been experiencing blue fingers and lips and a grey skin. also headaches after only one sniff and increased pressure on eyeballs..

I was wondering if it has something to do with the kind of poppers im useing. i dont know if blue boy is Isobutyl Nitrite or an other type of poppers and if it would help to switch brands? im in europe the neterhlands.

it would be a real shame if i have to give up poppers all together..

thnx marco!

poppero77 said on Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 00:49...

Marco, you are using isopropyl nitrite, isobutyl are banned in EU. Stay away from isopropyl and switch them for pentyl/amyl

Djl said on Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 09:57... said on Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 16:15...

Hi people .. as I'm sure some will know the uk poppers market is all ISOPROPYL NITRATE now.. I have found out recently that I'm one of many that are getting problems with my eyes .. my question is where can I get ISOBUTYL NITRATE poppers from..?

Craighudson said on Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 11:14... said on Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 16:16...

I got the vision problem in 2015. It probably took a year to get back to normal. I haven’t touched any poppers since, however I’m really missing my 80’s - 90’s Isobutyl nitrate. All because of some I’ll informed politicians in out feckless parliament I nearly ruined my eye sight and now denied a product that I had absolutely no problem with. I’ve been looking at various sites for Isobutyl nitrate. I just don’t know if I can trust them. For instance poppers-aromas.eu. If anyone has any information about this company and wether they can be trusted I’d appreciate it.

Roger said on Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 11:39...

I'd say Poppers-Aromas are about middling in terms of reliability. They certainly won't be able to supply isobutyl. They do pentyl and amyl, which might be to your taste. Though for me they don't compare to isobutyl, and in fact pentyl had terrible side-effects for me in terms of worsening my already bad anxiety, made me quite the nervous wreck. Still, better than the bathtub French isobutyl of a few years ago, that really was the worst experience ever! Corroding my lungs and rotting my brain. I'd be better off with a nice cup of tea and a walk in the country.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.