Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Poppers Myths and Facts

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by FACTS ONLY
on Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 15:08

FACTS ONLY said on Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 15:08...

Amyl Nitrate and The Poppers Myths

Ever heard of amyl nitrate? It is a fuel additive used in diesel motors. So starts the first of many myths, the name. According to much of the media all poppers are made from amyl nitrate. No they are not!

Crispin Blunt, the Conservative MP for Reigate, Surrey, offered the British media a late Christmas present when he admitted to being a user of the drug amyl nitrite, more commonly known as “poppers”

Writes Sharif Mowlabocus, Senior Lecturer of Media Studies and Digital Media, University of Sussex. So congrats to Sharif for not mixing up the a & the i. But if Crispin Blunt is buying his poppers in the UK then in all likelihood they will be Isopropyl Nitrite. A "Johnny Come Lately" formula that is to say the least controversial.

There is a huge irony here, and it is lost on the well meaning proponents of poppers. At one point the UK legal wrangling over poppers meant, some suggested, that florists could be arrested en-mass "because the scent given off by roses makes people feel romantic"

Interesting Sharif also mentions an amusing urban myth connected to poppers. The one where it was said that some gay clubs released them through their air conditioning in the 1970s. This story is kinda funny actually, as I heard a version of the air con poppers tale - it involved a dude who invited guys back to his luxury crib and, to get the guy slutty, would order his butler to release poppers! Of course it is bullshit.

The story about popz in the air-con started with an article in Dazed Magazine. “Bottles would be passed around the dance floor and clubs would spray them through the air."

The hole of the poppers world, and I mean hole, is full of these mythical ideas.

Others include:

The existence of a secret formula

A global conspiracy to stop "real poppers"

Alchemy style wonder poppers can be made at home

Iso-butyl nitrite is banned in the US

Elite German troops used poppers in World War Two

Poppers were invented by The Viet Cong

Know another myth, or maybe you would like to make your own? Go ahead, this train is heading for Bullshit City!

On the other side, how about some poppers FACT?

Jako said on Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 10:29...

Real poppers have gone and the 'secret formula' myth is REAL.

I haven't found a decent popper in The UK since the mid 90's.

They first started watering it down in the late 90's and changed the labelling information from 'contains alkyl nitrites' to 'contains Iso butyl nitrite'.

This indicates very clearly there was a 'mixture', a ‘secret mixture’ which has disappeared.

HunterBoy said on Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 16:37...

Alkyl nitrite is just a collective family term used; like "house" could mean a beaten up shack in rural Alabama or the Trump mansion in Palm Beach. They are still collectively known as houses. It does not indicate anything, sorry.

Jako said on Sun, 21 Oct 2018 at 20:55...

Juxtaposition.

HunterBoy said on Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 15:29...

Yes, sure. What has that got to do with main point? I can guess why they actually changed those labels; most likely a bureaucratic requirement for chemical labeling. I suppose those CAS numbers appeared at the same time - would be 542-56-3 for the iso-butyl you mention. So red tape, not a dastardly plot. It could be something to do with the EEC requirements maybe?

Jako said on Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 10:16...

Yes, definitely. EU 'meddling' would have played its part in the jargon that started to appear on the labels in the late 90's.
And of course The 'meddling' EU finally put the 'boot in' in 2007 when it banned IBN as the key ingredient.
No, there was a 'mixture of alkyl nitrites' (not just IBN) which produced:
A strong pulse in the head followed by rapid heartbeat and then a smooth warm long lasting rush.

leatherking said on Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 12:13...

You are wrong. PWD used to export to the UK and had an agent distributor (a well known company) They even had beautiful graphics and posters made for the UK, which is why I know, as I put one up in my venue. PWD products like Rush were never alkyl nitrite mixes, they were always iso-butyl nitrite. No idea about the EU, but I heard that it is easy to find the poppers you want over there.

Pappa Badmouth said on Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 10:18...

Bullshit. label used to say alkyl nitrite not nitrites. the clue is in the letter S, sherlock. Just meant it had a nitrite inside - usually amyl.

Jako said on Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 18:36...

Usually Iso Butyl Nitrite - The key nitrite.

Gandolf Crotch said on Sat, 27 Oct 2018 at 22:35...

Key? You are sure it is a key and not a ring? I like rings, especially when they fit nice and tight round my finger. I also like mysterious dark woods, goblets, spells and cloaks. Love poppers too...like a mysterious potion for me.

Anyone interested?

Mam said on Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 16:41...

No.

Some facts might be nice. @Jako every time you mention the EU you risk waking up trolls. The whole story about poppers is very confusing, and it is hardly surprising there is so much speculation and hearsay. A class of volatile nitrite with dilatory properties, in a variety of formulas, is about it.

Jako said on Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 17:50...

Nobody had problems getting hold of good quality poppers until The EU started poking their noses 👃 in.

shwalad said on Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 13:04...

does anyone on this site have experience having poppers delivered to Canada?

Dirk said on Sun, 4 Nov 2018 at 20:55...

very difficult to get delivery to Canada, shwalad. poppers are banned and the customs guys send them back. i know quite a few folks have tried. you can get a mail address in the US if you are living close by/ no problem that way. there are some poppers shops that will still ship to Canada, but you will most likely not get them. seems might strange to me that Canada should do this, as on other matters they are liberal minded.

About all the other chat, I have always liked Rush and still do. I had poppers in Amsterdam once ..oh wow they were great, or maybe it was the guy i was with lol

BigDad4fun said on Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at 20:38...

When I was growing up I remember seeing a TV news report about how Italians grow spaghetti on trees, so originally it was like a plant that grew on mountains. These days they make it with flour and water and other things. This is the same with poppers i think, once it was one thing and now it is another.

buzzing said on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 13:23...

hey jako,maybe your just immune to poppers.i hardly get a buzz from them anymore and i was only using them once a week for a year.i think i have a tolerence built up.

Mam said on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 16:56...

You are probably right, buzzing. This is the not the first time this idea has been suggested to our Jako. My guess is he will not accept this suggestion.

Jako said on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 10:39...

There is a certain amount of tolerance build up, but not that much.

Walter said on Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 09:52...

BigDad4fun: Yes you are right. I saw an episode on Hairy Bikers where they had the real spaghetti, although it is banned as the plant cannot be digested and causes chronic bloating and sudden flatulence. In the 1950s over 20% of hospital admissions in one region of Italy where caused by this. This plant (spagei) caused social trouble as young women were suspected of being pregnant. Things change, get over it.

Gandolf Crotch said on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 19:55...

One of them looks like he is a pressure cooker, ready to explode at any time. He now sports a hipster "Victorian Villain" mustachio, lives in France, and got married to a girl from Romania. He looks twitchy and nervous when he is joking with "Si" and I always think he is going to go berserk and crown his genial friend with a cast iron skillet. Do you think they really get on? Two Fat Ladies were the original biker cooking duo, and apparently they hated each other.

Mam said on Sun, 18 Nov 2018 at 11:26...

Nonsense about pasta and TV cooks.

Wondering what Jako means by some tolerance? Surely our metabolism changes over the years and so does the effect of poppers. This seems to be common sense. Of course these new "artisan poppers" will appeal to those seeking a youthful memory. At the end of the day a chemical is a chemical - purity is an issue, yes. But secret additives and processes? Cannot see that, sorry.

Anonymous said on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 10:01...

>apparently they hated each other.

Steptoe and Son, Laurel & Hardy, Morecambe and Wise, Sooty & Sweep. The list goes on and nothing new under the sun.

Jako said on Tue, 20 Nov 2018 at 19:55...

The true conniseur knows full well there were secrets in popper formulation. Butyl was always the key ingredient.

BIGBALLS said on Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 18:20...

connoisseur! so as a expert of 20th Century poppers you have a suggestion what that ingredient was? you could establish yuself as the Oz Clark of poppers....note of vanilla? hint of spice..

@Dirk: can you describe the guy. thnx.

Jako said on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 at 17:12...

The seasoned veteran knows his poppers, especially and dates are very important. The 90's were the golden years...

BIGBALLS said on Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 12:07...

You don't know what the ingredient was.... I thought so. You just think there was something, and only because the poppers of A QUARTER of CENTURY ago made you feel good. I recently bought a Curly Wurly and it tasted different to how it once did. when i was running through corn fields with my shirt off, the yellow sun on our backs, and the old river, then those curly wurly bars tasted nice. Now sitting on a bidet staring at the flaking wallpaper, the confectionery does not hit the spot. Tastes chewy and it hurts my teeth. same with poppers, rush, jungle juice or whatever. they did not change the chocolate treat (although wagon wheels may have been changed like milky bars) so i proved my point.

Jako said on Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 16:24...

Ask yourself self one BIG question: Why are so many people now searching for good poppers? Is it because something is missing from current formulations?

BIGBALLS said on Sun, 25 Nov 2018 at 12:08...

Bollocks. How do poppers work!! you think they have the same effect on a 25 year old as they do with an older guy? No way. You have no idea what ingredient, and will not accept the fact that your body works different in 2018, from say 1996, or whenever you were rutting like a stag.

Jako said on Sun, 25 Nov 2018 at 13:31...

The secret ingredient gave that strong pulse in the head followed by rapid heartbeat and then a smooth warm long lasting rush.

Anonymous said on Sun, 25 Nov 2018 at 18:52...

The Hairy Biker who is smaller (and has a mustache) likes to show off his Readers Digest erudition. He patronizes the big teddy bear one; whom he addresses as "Kingy". Many double acts turn sour when one of them gets too big for their boots. I agree he is a like a boiling kettle, screaming louder as the years pass by.

FACTS ONLY said on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 at 12:52...

More urban myths or FACTS about poppers only!

Can someone get rid of all this television chefs (if that it?) talk.

Jimmy Feral said on Mon, 3 Dec 2018 at 15:29...

Two blokes on the telly, mate. They whip up some awesome grub, but you are right, nothing to do with this topic. On another thread I was reading some queen was slagging off Lionel Blair. No sense to it I can see.

There are a lot of weirdos on the web.

When I was doing film work poppers were not allowed on camera... but were used. This was when if you could not get wood, you got no work. One scene in Friar Fuck 7 you can see Robin Hood sniffing panties before doing his business, get me?

Ankiel said on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 01:27...

Poppers make me suck cock juice and pop un mens throats.

Ankiel said on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 01:29...

Anyone want to suck my cum from my 8 inch cock ? If not I'm sniffing poppers and shooting my load down a tube I made right into my faggot throat. GULP.

Frank said on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 01:31...

Hey Fuck toy , blowing my hot splooge in u fuckin mouth !!!!!

Neil Caffrey said on Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 01:24...

Did it not cross your minds that maybe your in denial about your dependency on poppers for sexual pleasure and its why you can't get the same high because of your immune to it. Not because of the new mixture once you read in the comments, not the same since the 90s it means youve been using for too long and need a stench of sobriety.TRY not sniffing for a year or few months..You addicted and you know it...use poppers monthly or twice yearly if you can't do that you have a problem and the poppers use is only the symptom..But each to his own only you know..

Finger Bob said on Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 12:01...

Neil Caffrey is right. Even if not addictive per se, you will get a mental association, whereby the poppers aroma is associated with ejaculation, followed by dissatisfaction, when your body accustoms itself. A good point, Neil. There should be more common sense posts of this caliber.

PoppyJo said on Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 02:55...

Hey all.

So I posted, then started reading. Hi I'm new to this forum. But now I've read some, and some of y'all are gullible as hell, no offense intended, take it as a friendly correction.

How could there be a "secret formula" when the only chemicals ever in poppers are propyl, butyl, pentyl and hexyl nitrites? (Collectively, "alkyl";-)

Like this guy, Jako. Hi Jako!

"The secret ingredient gave that strong pulse in the head followed by rapid heartbeat and then a smooth warm long lasting rush."

O. K., Jake. Here are some popper FACTS for ya!

1. Propyl is shit. You don't want it, period.
2. Hexyl is also shit. So that leaves us with Amyl and Butyl.

Strong pulse in the head and rapid heartbeat sounds like Butyl. Smooth warm long lasting rush is definitely Amyl. So there you go, your "secret": get some of each, and mix them until you find the right balance.

3. It's not rocket science!

(But it is biochemistry)

PoppyJo said on Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 02:58...

Wish I could edit a post, but oh well. Just a note: Amyl is Pentyl. Two names for the selfsame entity.

40 Years of Poppers Experience said on Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 05:07...

I started using poppers in 1980. The PWD labels did indeed say "alkyl nitrites", at least in the U.S. And yes, they are definitely not as good as they used to be. Quality started to decline in the '90s.

Just because the same chemicals are being used doesn't mean that all products are therefore equivalent in quality, purity, strength, etc. That's like saying that beer made from barley and hops are all same because they're made from water, barley and hops.

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.