Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Icons?

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Solomon
on Wed, 4 Sep 2013 at 15:28

Solomon said on Wed, 4 Sep 2013 at 15:28...

I was reading about the tatty remarks made at last nights GQ Men of The Year. Uneasy gags about suicide and self-serving smart ass tosh by dickheads like Noel Gallagher. It made me think: who do I admire? Who are the individuals of today who we can show to the next generation as an example? In particular who are the icons for gay men? It seems there is an endless list of fatuous buffoons who are pumped up by media. Like Bonny Tyler...I need a hero! Suggestions?

PJ said on Thu, 5 Sep 2013 at 16:43...

Peter Tatchell? He tried to arrest that homophobic git Mugabe and has been a fearless fighter for LBGT rights. He is no paper tiger is he! I believe that he has received some serious injuries whilst confronting prejudice.

King of All Hobbies said on Fri, 6 Sep 2013 at 08:55...

José Sarria (recently deceased) is a name you may not know...you should.

Solomon said on Mon, 9 Sep 2013 at 17:34...

Harvey Milk of course. Jose was not known to me actually, thanks.

Maureen said on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 at 07:50...

The Pope is not doing to badly. What about people like Sir Richard Branson, there is a role model if there ever was one.

Solomon said on Fri, 13 Sep 2013 at 13:28...

Isn't Mr Beardy just a self publicist and chancer? He has built a great business empire, is that really so admirable?

Tosser del Mar said on Sat, 14 Sep 2013 at 11:29...

Most people think so yeah/ do you admire layabouts who ponce off the state.

PJ said on Sun, 15 Sep 2013 at 12:53...

The old troll gave you a double chance...the Pope and Branson. I am surprised she didn't try for Elton! Waaaa.. anyway Nikolay Alexeyev is another for the list. Courage and conviction unfortunately tainted by some very odd and very nasty remarks this summer.

NN99 said on Tue, 17 Sep 2013 at 11:21...

People you don't hear about...caring for the sick (dementia is a total pig for example)Those are the ones you should admire. Nursing whether as a profession or as a duty has no reward in material terms. Spiritually it is very rewarding of course.

Cornish Queen said on Tue, 17 Sep 2013 at 17:42...

Steven Hawking? As PJ mentioned Elton John I thought I would share some of his recent comments:

""I'm supposed to be going to Moscow in December," he says. "I've got to go. And I've got to think about what I'm going to say very carefully"

Why? Big mega star like him can say what he likes about gay rights, eh? On a different topic, festivals, he remarks:

"I'm too scared that people will throw things at me, I'm like the Queen Mother"

He is certainly an old queen, but lacking the dignity of the lady he refers to. All that ready to wear Versace and those wigs are going to his head!

Marshall said on Wed, 18 Sep 2013 at 05:11...

NN99: fully agree there!

PJ said on Wed, 18 Sep 2013 at 15:58...

Lawks! well I asked for it. Queen of the South West, do you know why he has "got to go"?

Maureen said on Fri, 20 Sep 2013 at 13:11...

I think it was a remark made in the interview. Sometimes if you have to go, you have to go. As Elton gets older he'll find himself spending more time having a jimmy riddle. Moreso in winter, so he might consider going to Benidorm in the winter - they have great buffets there you know - you save on heating.

Solomon said on Sat, 21 Sep 2013 at 12:54...

This conversation is becoming flatulent, as is often the case. NN99 has a decent point to make about the unsung hero.

equestrian mistress said on Sat, 21 Sep 2013 at 21:10...

Here is what he said:

“I've got to go,” John said. “And I've got to think about what I'm going to say very carefully. There's two avenues of thought: Do you stop everyone going, ban all the artists coming in from Russia? But then you're really leaving the men and women who are gay and suffering under the antigay laws in an isolated situation. As a gay man, I can't leave those people on their own without going over there and supporting them. I don't know what's going to happen, but I've got to go.”

this is appropriate subject for wisecracks? not really...

PJ said on Sun, 22 Sep 2013 at 17:19...

> ban all the artists coming in from Russia?

eh? Oh Nikita you will never know....

Cornish Queen said on Wed, 25 Sep 2013 at 12:41...

No! no! it is Oh Nikita you will never come surely...

Hey Nikita is it cold
In your little corner of the world?
>Da. Is not little, is very big.

Do you ever dream of me?
>Niet

Do you ever see the letters that I write?
>I am using them for cat tray

Nikita do you count the stars at night?
>Niet. Glorious Comrade Gagarin has conquered already.

Solomon said on Thu, 26 Sep 2013 at 08:51...

Tiresome. The gag about Nikita's cat litter is amusing I suppose. It will be interesting to see what Reggie Dwight says when he arrives in that little corner, until then....hush!

May we have some other names that qualify for modern icon?

Maureen said on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 at 13:13...

Judith Chalmers

iPop said on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 at 16:30...

Gloria Honeyford? There is some more about that brouhaha with Elton, but as we have been told to hush by the great walrus himself...

Cornish Queen said on Mon, 30 Sep 2013 at 09:44...

"Oh Nikita you will never know anything about my home"

Not true! Nikita can read about it online: "The focal point in the living room is a pink-lacquer cocktail table...chairs are upholstered in a Mongolian-lamb fabric."

Tres chic! Of course "Guns and gates" no longer hold her... so she and her family are free to buy up large chunks of SW1 and decorate in a similar style....arriviste.

Maureen said on Wed, 2 Oct 2013 at 12:16...

Coffee table is it? Nice to put your mug on and an ashtray for the ciggies. I don't know if he still wears those platform heels but I bet David will be none to pleased if he puts his boots on the table...lacklustre can scratch something awful.

PJ said on Thu, 3 Oct 2013 at 09:12...

See: Irina Fedotova and Nikolai Bayev

"stood holding posters reading "Homosexuality is normal" and "I am proud of my homosexuality" near schools and libraries in the city of Ryazan, about 325 kilometers southeast of Moscow. They were subsequently detained and each given a 1,500-ruble fine (about $50)"

Back on the thorny subject of Elton J: in an interview with a newspaper he mentioned being on a roof in Moscow in 1979 with his interpreter. Ugandan relations are said to have taken place. All very well and good, but this kind of debauchery is helping the cause? Maybe in an "in you face darling!" sort of way. Maybe not though...

Anonymous said on Fri, 4 Oct 2013 at 15:34...

"this kind of debauchery"

He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone..

equestrian mistress said on Sun, 6 Oct 2013 at 18:11...

"Divine retribution for taking part in a hotbed of sodomy will fall both on those who attend the concert and those who perform there."

Imam Seidzhagfar Lutfulli, Russia, The 21st? Century.

People laughed at the little man with the tache and the other guy with the limp - Hitler and Goebbels. It is the same language FFS, PJ! Think!

PJ said on Mon, 7 Oct 2013 at 18:35...

Calm down, dear! I doubt that Seidzhagfar is going to be another Schicklgruber. Some balm pot with a taste for tub-thumping and wild language is only worthy of derision. Much worse is the position of the Russian Orthodox Church. Nasty little corner of the world it is turning into for sure. I'm off to the hotbed...I mean sunbed.

Tosser del Mar said on Tue, 8 Oct 2013 at 12:34...

Loads of Hitler's old mates were gay of course, Ernie Rohm for one. Those that make a big song and dance about other people's preferences are often not happy in their own skin you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QATSbEK5muQ

Solomon said on Wed, 9 Oct 2013 at 19:34...

Shame on you!

PJ said on Mon, 14 Oct 2013 at 19:33...

What is getting your goat? Mel Brooks used to do Hitler gags. When is our Elton in Russia anyway?

Cornish Queen said on Tue, 15 Oct 2013 at 12:10...

December 6th. I'm getting my pink cashmere cloak dry cleaned as we speak. The family jewels will be on display as well (Faberge has nothing on what I've got, dear)

Maureen said on Tue, 15 Oct 2013 at 20:09...

Make sure you wrap up warm! Can be very chilly in those parts....that's why they all wear fur hats and look so damn miserable. Top tip: take some Levi jeans they'll give you a good price. When the Rusky sailors used to come into port they'd do anything to get their hands on a nice pair. Tricky blighters mind so watch they don't make a grab for your jewels.

PJ said on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 at 08:06...

"The more noise Moscow makes, the more it seems to be striving to disguise the evidence of decline."

Do you think that the noise about gay marriage is just opportunist? An weakening old bear who lashes out at it's neighbors? Gay marriage is offensive to a lot of the miserable masses (Lumpenproletarier), so the policy is a means of suggesting to the domestic audience that the junta is strong. It is an easy target....history shows that desperate autocrats like easy targets. Gay marriage is a darling of current Western policy.

There is a song by Pussy Riot called "Putin Zassal" (Putin is Wetting Himself";-) When domestic issues call into question the authority of the pseudo-Tsar then this is the result. Elton John putting his platform heels into this political excrement may be not such a good idea, who will he be helping? Actually it is a difficult question.

Miss Mint Julep said on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 at 20:25...

or maybe they are just bad guys!

equestrian mistress said on Sat, 19 Oct 2013 at 07:00...

Homophobia is a very nasty problem and not just in Russia. There is an horrific case in Chile (there have been others in the US). Four thugs "beat the 24-year-old shop worker with bottles, burnt him with cigarettes, carved swastikas into his body and then broke his leg with a large stone"

Daniel Mauricio Zamudio Vera was his name. Rest in Peace young man.

Chileans were so shocked the politicians forced through anti-discrimination law. Perhaps Daniel is not an icon, but he is certainly a martyr. Take the time to read about him please and then go back to your oh so clever jokes.

PJ said on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 at 07:49...

This really depressed and upset me, izzy. I spent a while trying to understand; perhaps this was an act of a drug induced pack mania I thought? It seems the horrors of Chilean homophobia are truly depraved:

"17 of these cases are murders, only in the past year three transsexuals were murdered, one of them had her face disfigured with a blowtorch"

There must be a wider social context to this.

Anonymous said on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 at 10:40...

"dickheads like Noel Gallagher"

Solomon said on Wed, 23 Oct 2013 at 15:11...

lol Marshall gave you a blue star...

Homophobia is worthy of it's own thread(?) without the twitter about wigs and family baubles.

PJ said on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 at 22:49...

This is what a Mormon said about being gay: a “tragic genetic mixup” I think he is the author of this little gem:

"Ender's Game (1985) is a military science fiction novel by American author Orson Scott Card. Set in Earth's future, the novel presents an imperilled mankind after two conflicts with the "Buggers", an insectoid alien species"

No comment necessary! Reminds me: wasn't their some serious nutter who used to write Sci Fi fantasy about lady slaves on some planet? I vaguely recall because some countries banned it.

Solomon said on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 at 19:46...

Oy vey! John Norman Chronicles of Gor. Don't waste your brain cells on that load of old tosh. Norman writes for the dirty rain coat brigade. The insect reference is most likely nothing to do with homophobia, just a word play on bug.

equestrian mistress said on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 at 21:32...

'What I'm going to do is meet with the LGBT community, see what the - how I can help them, see what I can do for them. I'm going to say something from the stage that’s not going to be - that’s going to be meaningful.'

Find fault with that?? No doubt some can!!

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.