Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Poppers and naughty novels

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by Mistress de Luxe
on Wed, 6 Mar 2013 at 12:11

Mistress de Luxe said on Wed, 6 Mar 2013 at 12:11...

This made me laugh...

"Emma Caine is pushing forty and life is hitting her hard. Her husband has been brain damaged, she’s lost her job, and she might lose her home. Instead of giving up, Emma starts hitting back. Drawing on experiences from a misspent youth, she opens a domination dungeon in an outbuilding in her garden..."

Emma Caine...haha. It reminds ya of 18th century comedy...Sir Toby Belch and all that. I think it would have been better if the hubby had run off with the local gamekeeper...but there you are.

"he reached into one of his trouser pockets and produced a small, brown, glass vial."

Poppers? No, he was just going to polish a leather paddle, just kiddin' :-)

"I took off my trench coat and when the Judge strutted out of the bathroom stark naked and holding the bottle of poppers in his right hand, I was waiting for him by the punishment horse in my full regalia."

Spicey stuff! The book is called Folly if you want to know...

Anonymous said on Fri, 8 Mar 2013 at 10:12...

"life is hitting her hard.... Emma starts hitting back" ....yawn

RoyofTheRavers said on Sun, 10 Mar 2013 at 11:59...

This novel is from South Africa and is the Fifty Shades of Grey style. Here is some blurb from the publisher:

"she has no sexual contact with her clients. In fact, she believes them all to be sick perverts"

but then she falls in lurv with one of 'er punters. Wonder what happens to the brain damaged hubby? Ahhh..I just read in a SA woman mag that hubby is in a "special care facility"...great light summertime reading!!

Covent Garden Nun said on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 at 20:23...

Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure? Been there, read that....this sounds a bit off colour to me. Writing filth is tricky....read John Cleland and you'll see what a strain it is to keep it up ;-)

Anonymous said on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 at 08:29...

As Basil would say "Boom Boom"! Cleland would be shocked by poppers and the vices of the modern world though...

Covent Garden Nun said on Thu, 14 Mar 2013 at 12:46...

Stick with Basil Brush! You have never read Fanny Hill if you think that! Basil Brush's Bumper Book For Boys will suit you...lots of pictures and no big wordz.

RoyofTheRavers said on Fri, 15 Mar 2013 at 08:45...

You know Anne Summers plans to open nine new shops on the back of the naughty novel wave...some kind of clamp has seen sales increase 10 fold. These places are no longer the stomping ground of the dirty mackintosh, you are likely to see smart young professionals purchasing these gizmos. I never liked Basil Brush, too posh, Sooty, Sweep and Sue (the original menage a trois) are my favorites.

PJ said on Mon, 18 Mar 2013 at 11:52...

Interesting discussion! Take this excerpt from The Adventures of Peregrine Peculiar by Anonymous (1783)

"Did take a chair unto the Inn at Canary, twas a fine air that night and me bethought to partake of idle reflection upon ye river. Thereby I did spy a comely maiden in a country smock; the maiden was of unsure foot and in her cups. "Forsooth ma'am" cried I. The maiden upon hearing mine dulcet oration did eye me in a manner most inflaming. A young buck did walk on the river path; I noted he partook of a witch bottle by the nose. The liquid therein was of a hue that spoke of summer bees and a heady scent that intoxicated the sense and let loose ye bullocks from pen, to roam at ease up country ways...

The story continues with a shocking debauched scene in which Peregrine and the "buck" have it away with the maiden in a shed. I have always wondered if there is a reference to poppers in the last paragraph?
Any thoughts?

Danny said on Tue, 19 Mar 2013 at 19:54...

I think you will find that amyl nitrite was invented in the 1800s! Duh!

PJ said on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 at 12:31...

You may well be correct, Danny. It is claimed that a French person invented amyl nitrite, or was it a Scot? You see my point. Who is to say that in an 18th century apothecary shop some bearded genius was not distilling a liquid " that spoke of summer bees"! Open you mind, not your legs, Danny!

equestrian mistress said on Thu, 21 Mar 2013 at 13:37...

what happens in the shed? never heard of this book..i 'spose that is a double entendre in the last para?

Anonymous said on Thu, 21 Mar 2013 at 20:59...

What a load of bullocks ..Peregrine Peculiar! Who just arrived on the melon truck? Not me.

PJ said on Sun, 24 Mar 2013 at 10:54...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts - perhaps you are related to the author?

EM, I suspect that it is more of a metaphor. Anonymous was well known for producing ribald metaphor throughout his career. His, Fanny Dewdrop of Grub Street (of which only two copies survive... and one in private sweaty hands) is a riot of ribaldry with choicest metaphor to sauce the text. Writers of naughty books in this period did use rotten low words of course, but the gentleman scholar preferred long convoluted and decorous sentences to the "i did @%$@ the wench up her ^%$# pipe" style. As for what happened in the shed, I can look it up if you insist!

equestrian mistress said on Mon, 25 Mar 2013 at 14:22...

Yeah...I insist. I can't seem to find any other references to The Adventures of Peregrine Peculiar OR Fanny Dewdrop of Grub Street? why is that, PJ?? hmmmm...

PJ said on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 at 10:50...

Maybe it is because they are subscription pamphlets (100 or so)....that was a la mode for this kind of thing you know. The copy of The Adventures of Peregrine Peculiar is in a private collection bequeathed to a local library. The librarian doesn't like me one bit! Much of the collection is out of sight; she is reluctant to show me her hidden delights. I have recently angered her by demanding that she source the following books:

Biggles Takes It Rough
Biggles Gets His Men
The Camels Are Coming

All these are perfectly proper works by Captain W.E Johns ( (1893–1968) and, as I explained, any prurient suggestive interpretation are a reflection of the accuser and not the moral laxity of the late Captain! nor, for that matter, me! Shocking woman!

Batty said on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 at 17:01...

lol can you ask her about Drummer Dick's Discharge? Author: Beatrix M. De Burgh from around 1900s

PJ said on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 at 08:51...

I can ask her for you, but I do not think she will approve of your reading choice. As I said to her the other day, "I like to take a good Trollope to bed of a winter evening, Ma'am" "Do you really" she replied with a look of disdain that would curdle a mother's milk. I shall ask her when I take Peregrine to the reading room (she has forbidden me from making a photocopy of The Adventures)

iPop said on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 at 12:49...

there is a link to this thread from another forum where PJ is well known....the story about the librarian has been told before and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. i find it weird that last time the libarian was a dude...you have been warned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story

PJ said on Sun, 31 Mar 2013 at 11:48...

There are two of them actually; not so strange in a local library. Thank you for your interest in the diabolical duo. I intend to take Peregrine roughly in a few days (or so.)

iPop said on Fri, 3 May 2013 at 18:03...

So?? what happened in the library...<yawns>

Anonymous said on Sun, 5 May 2013 at 10:38...

x

PJ said on Sun, 26 May 2013 at 14:09...

You made the allegation that it was bar stool blarney. Now you are suddenly interested in Peregrine and his doings!

Phil Stein said on Tue, 28 May 2013 at 09:39...

Good afternoon, do you have an Invisible Dick by Frank Topham? You do...I have been looking for it all over...can you keep it for me?

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran"

PJ said on Fri, 31 May 2013 at 07:36...

Thanks, Phil. I will certainly ask her for a Topham. Please forgive me I have my mind is elsewhere - esteemed broadcaster Esther Rantzen has revealed that for 30 years she has been wearing wigs.

"Looking back, I don’t think really they’ve ever done me any favours. My hair may be flat, fine and limp, but it’s still my own."

Your searingly insightful comment from Kahlil Gibran is truly food for thought.

Finbar said on Tue, 11 Jun 2013 at 11:08...

Esther is a great role model like Bill Cosby. Has anyone read Bill's book, Come on People? Who was that old gentleman in the smoking jacket on That's Life? He used to like stuff like this!

PJ said on Wed, 26 Jun 2013 at 10:40...

Cyril Fletcher was his name.

Anonymous said on Sat, 17 Aug 2013 at 16:51...

It was Arthur Marshall actually...

Maureen said on Fri, 30 Aug 2013 at 09:59...

There was an old gentleman called Cyril who used to live up the docks. I remember he had a canary called Phil. He used to say you should always keep a canary handy as it can sense movements in the sky....he was traumatized as a lad by a Zeppelin. He used to sit in the park (dirty place now, full of tarts drinking cider) and look at the sky.

Chintzy said on Mon, 23 Sep 2013 at 09:48...

How depressing! There is a very nasty restaurant review in today's press:

Cockrent is written on a Belgian restaurant wall. No! really?

Turns out to be Christina Ockrent. As in C. Ockrent. Laugh? We couldn't help it! I shared the joke with some colleagues and they were all falling off their chairs with mirth. The author of this hilarity also goes on to describe some mussels as:

"the retracted scrotum of a hairless cat"

Oh "lots of laughs"... is there no end to the fun! The dipstick that produced this crass little piece is called Jay Rayner. Who he?

iPop said on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 at 16:35...

Gil Chesterton from Frasier?

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.