Poppers Poppers Guide Poppers Forum Poppers Reviews

Beautiful Thing

Posted on Poppers Guide's Forum

Topic created by equestrian mistress
on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 at 10:59

equestrian mistress said on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 at 10:59...

Heads up about this little gem! Play by Jonathan Harvey. It is one of those coming of age, first love dramas....but it is set on a run down "sarf" London estate. Drug dealing alcoholism and love. Not new (I think it was written in the '80s) here is a real pukka quote from the playwright about the times:

"If you were a working-class gay person on TV, you would be kicked out by your dad and became a rent boy," Harvey said, and "if you were middle-class then perhaps you got Aids and died."

Ha! Well, anyway if anything is going to bring me up the "the smoke" then this will. Not sure if anyone remembers "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" but that was from Jonathan's pen as well. Grandpa and I are going, wanna come? It's in April.

PJ said on Mon, 18 Mar 2013 at 12:04...

Thanks for the heads up :-)

Paddy O said on Mon, 25 Mar 2013 at 14:26...

'tis a beautiful thing for sure, for sure....so it is.

Anonymous said on Fri, 19 Apr 2013 at 07:06...

Gok Wan and Gaby Roslin were at the press night after party for Beautiful Thing, Jonathan Harvey's moving and groundbreaking 1993 play....

PJ said on Sun, 5 May 2013 at 10:57...

So did anyone see it?

Old Bawd Treader said on Fri, 26 Jan 2018 at 11:58...

Saw what? Alan Yentob's Fanny by Gaslight? I cannot say I did. I rather feel it saw me, I spent most of the performance musing on Proustian madeleine.
The theater, my dears, is not what it once was. I suggest getting a box-set of The Perils of Pauline, a takeaway, and putting one's feet up!

Want to post a follow-up?
  Go ahead:

Your name or nickname:

Your message:

Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this website are
Copyright © 2011-2017 Jack Tinoco. That said, you can use my
images and article excerpts subject to these conditions.